Re: [CVBirds] Sacramento NWR, Gray Lodge WA

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2002
      Les's report of the eclipse male Blue-winged Teal prompts me to follow
      through on my thought to query the group (s) about this. I saw birds in
      essentially female plumage, but with prominent white crescents in the
      face at both Gray Lodge and Sacramento NWR this weekend. Maybe it's
      because I don't live where Blue-wings commonly winter, but I had never
      seen this plumage this late in the year before. Sibley's guide
      indicates males should be in full adult looking plumage by now, also.
      Is this just a gap in my experience, or are these birds somewhat
      unusual?

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Redding

      >>> Les Chibana <les@...> 12/09/02 10:21PM >>>
      Thanks to all who responded to my RFI for these areas.

      My group had a great time this weekend. Saturday's warm weather was
      unreal! We had similar sightings as reported by Bruce Deuel from SNWR
      and GLWA. The evening fly out at SNWR in the relatively clear Saturday
      twilight was incredible.

      At SNWR, we had AMERICAN WHITE-PELICANs, a few WHITE-FACED IBIS,
      4 blue morph SNOW GEESE, one EURASIAN WIGEON, one eclipse male
      BLUE-WINGED TEAL, and the adult BALD EAGLE stirring up waterfowl.

      TUNDRA SWAN were along Z Road near the Llano Seco Unit, SANDHILL
      CRANE were along the Colusa-Gridley Rd. west of Butler Rd.

      At the Colusa Refuge, there were at least 4 EURASIAN WIGEON and
      several LESSER SCAUP. A birder/hunter mentioned that there was also
      a HOODED MERGANSER and a Eurasian race GREEN-WINGED TEAL in the
      ponds by the entrance.

      As mentioned by several people, the diving duck numbers were low,
      indicated in the survey numbers at the SNWR headquarters.

      Near the Road 14 (Zamora) exit off Hwy 505, we saw a GOLDEN EAGLE,
      a BALD EAGLE, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK and 2 BURROWING OWLs. When
      I stopped here on Friday, 12/6/02, I saw a dark morph male and a light
      morph female ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK, a PRAIRIE
      FALCON and a MERLIN.

      Les
      --
      Les Chibana
      BirdNUTZ(TM) - Ornigasmic Birding

      Central Valley Birds[CVBirds]messages are searchable and archived at:

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/