Sacramento NWR, Gray Lodge WA

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2002
      Thanks to all who responded to my RFI for these areas.

      My group had a great time this weekend. Saturday's warm weather was
      unreal! We had similar sightings as reported by Bruce Deuel from SNWR
      and GLWA. The evening fly out at SNWR in the relatively clear Saturday
      twilight was incredible.

      At SNWR, we had AMERICAN WHITE-PELICANs, a few WHITE-FACED IBIS,
      4 blue morph SNOW GEESE, one EURASIAN WIGEON, one eclipse male
      BLUE-WINGED TEAL, and the adult BALD EAGLE stirring up waterfowl.

      TUNDRA SWAN were along Z Road near the Llano Seco Unit, SANDHILL
      CRANE were along the Colusa-Gridley Rd. west of Butler Rd.

      At the Colusa Refuge, there were at least 4 EURASIAN WIGEON and
      several LESSER SCAUP. A birder/hunter mentioned that there was also
      a HOODED MERGANSER and a Eurasian race GREEN-WINGED TEAL in the
      ponds by the entrance.

      As mentioned by several people, the diving duck numbers were low,
      indicated in the survey numbers at the SNWR headquarters.

      Near the Road 14 (Zamora) exit off Hwy 505, we saw a GOLDEN EAGLE,
      a BALD EAGLE, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK and 2 BURROWING OWLs. When
      I stopped here on Friday, 12/6/02, I saw a dark morph male and a light
      morph female ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK, a PRAIRIE
      FALCON and a MERLIN.

      Les
      --
      Les Chibana