Late Rising Sedge Wren

  • Dennis Braddy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2002
      PenBirders,

      A late-rising SEDGE WREN appeared for a second day today at Half Moon Bay
      State Beach. The wren was first heard at 10:30 A.M. We first glimpsed the
      Sedge Wren at the very beginning of the roped trail that starts behind the
      restroom in the northwest corner of the campground. The bird was at the edge
      of the Coyote Brush behind a thistle standing in a small brushy clearing to
      the left (west) of the trail. For the next hour and 15 minutes this skulker
      played hide-and-seek with a highly focused and determined group of birders,
      gradually working its way 100 feet to the north. Visible for no more than a
      second at a time the wren revealed its location occasionally by emitting one
      and two chip note calls. At 11:45 a miracle happened. Without fanfare the
      Sedge Wren climbed to the top of the tallest, leafless bush in the area and
      sat there for 30 seconds. Then it was gone. When a cheer went up from the
      crowd I realized that I hadn't breathed since the wren showed itself. Other
      birders present included Roy Carlson, Gary Deghi, Mary and David Haveman,
      Emily Serkin, and at least eleven others. The wren was still present and
      vocal, but hidden when we left at noon.

      Dennis and Patricia Braddy
      San Ramon
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
        Birders,

        Today, the Sedge Wren was still present at Half Moon Bay State Park. I
        located it about 12:30 pm along the trail that leads north along the
        inside of the dunes from the NW corner of the campground. However it
        was further north than previous sightings. It was where the trail
        bends left and goes up into the dunes at the point the ocean becomes
        visible. There is a post with a fallen sign on the left. The bird
        was in the dense low shrubbery on both sides of the trail at that
        point, and was visible off-and-on for the next half hour.

        More information and a brief description are at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/sewr.htm

        Half Moon Bay State Park is at the west end of Kelly Avenue in Half
        Moon Bay.

        Good luck.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...