FW: [pen-bird] Sedge Wren continues (San Mateo County)

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
      CALBIRDS:

      In answer to my earlier question whether anyone saw the the ?Sedge Wren
      today: the answer is yes as many of us saw the bird today including me.
      Tomorrow it is supposed to rain. That will be good if it keeps the Sedge
      Wren in its place and of course bad if it forces it out.

      Checking John Sterling's site
      http://www.cal.net/~ani/california_county_birding.htm , I see there is no
      entry of Sedge Wren for San Mateo County. Is this a first county record?

      Checking http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt for CBRC
      records I see only 4 accepted records of Sedge Wren for California and only
      one addition submitted record. I do remember one Ventura County record, but
      this list has not been update since December 30, 1997. Are there plans in
      the works for a more recent update?

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
        At 07:33 PM 12/8/2002 -0800, Mike Feighner wrote:
        >Checking http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt for CBRC
        >records I see only 4 accepted records of Sedge Wren for California and only
        >one addition submitted record. I do remember one Ventura County record, but
        >this list has not been update since December 30, 1997. Are there plans in
        >the works for a more recent update?

        There was a Sedge Wren 10/26 - 10/27/1997 in Sycamore Canyon Campground,
        Pt. Mugu State Park, VEN. I'm pretty sure I remember this record being
        accepted.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Jamie Chavez
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
          Indeed... and a photo of the Ventura bird is on the CBRC website with the
          caption ACCEPTED.

          http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/photos/index.html

          Jamie M. Chavez
          Santa Maria, CA
          34.90'N, 120.45'W
          jc.wings@...

          <")
          ( \
          / |``

          > There was a Sedge Wren 10/26 - 10/27/1997 in Sycamore Canyon Campground,
          > Pt. Mugu State Park, VEN. I'm pretty sure I remember this record being
          > accepted.
          >

          > Good birding,
          > Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use
          > <mailto:mobile@...> for rare birds and emergencies only
          >
          > Steve Sosensky, photographer www.sosensky.com
          > 10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          > Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
          > Audubon in So. California www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/
          > San Fernando Valley AS www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
          > AIM ID: SteveS310 Yahoo Messenger ID: SteveSosensky
          > SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22

        • Guy McCaskie
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2002
            Mike,

            The California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) has endorsed six (6) records of
            Sedge Wrens in California, none being in San Mateo County. The CBRC is
            currently working on the manuscript of a book, "Vagrant and Scarce Bird
            Species of California" that will list every record of all species on the
            CBRC's review list. Obviously the information in such a book depends on
            birders like you to submit documentation. As such, I encourage you to
            submit documentation for the Sedge Wren, and any other rarities you should
            encounter.

            Thank you,

            Guy McCaskie
            Secretary, California Bird Records Committee
            P.O. Box 275
            Imperial Beach, CA 91933-0275

            > In answer to my earlier question whether anyone saw the the ?Sedge Wren
            > today: the answer is yes as many of us saw the bird today including me.
            > Tomorrow it is supposed to rain. That will be good if it keeps the Sedge
            > Wren in its place and of course bad if it forces it out.
            >
            > Checking John Sterling's site
            > http://www.cal.net/~ani/california_county_birding.htm , I see there is no
            > entry of Sedge Wren for San Mateo County. Is this a first county record?
            >
            > Checking http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt for
            CBRC
            > records I see only 4 accepted records of Sedge Wren for California and
            only
            > one addition submitted record. I do remember one Ventura County record,
            but
            > this list has not been update since December 30, 1997. Are there plans in
            > the works for a more recent update?
            >
            > --
            > Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County

            these addresses: