Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Bird Observation Service

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
      At 01:30 PM 12/3/2002 -0800, Nathan Dias wrote:
      >A better system would be satellite-based email/text pagers (a la
      >Blackberry), a GPS display unit and a LISTSERV or other email group
      >distribution list.
      >
      >Then the person who saw bird X could note the GPS coordinates, send a text
      >email message (via Satellite) to a single email address which gets blasted
      >out to other list members (who would hopefully also have satellite-based
      >email/text pagers).

      This would be nice, except that BlackBerry is not satellite based. The
      specs below are taken from the BlackBerry website and match models to phone
      network technology:

      North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks - BlackBerry 5810 and 6710
      Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks - BlackBerry 6710
      North America: 800 MHz Nextel® network - BlackBerry 6510

      Satellite phones are very expensive, as is the service. I'm afraid that for
      now, we'll have to make do with current cellular technology. At least 3G
      will allow for always on internet connectivity. As for a listserv, there is
      no reason that BirdChat, Calbirds, and the regional lists can't supply
      that. I think that birders are getting pretty good at determining which
      sightings belong on local lists and which need to be more widely publicized.

      I've been sending reports from my cell phone while in the field for almost
      two years now, but with 2G technology, I have to connect to my ISP to
      download email.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22