Re: Bird Observation Service

  • Nathan Dias
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
      A drawback of such a system is that traditional cellphones frequently lack good reception in the backcountry.

      A better system would be satellite-based email/text pagers (a la Blackberry), a GPS display unit and a LISTSERV or other email group distribution list.

      Then the person who saw bird X could note the GPS coordinates, send a text email message (via Satellite) to a single email address which gets blasted out to other list members (who would hopefully also have satellite-based email/text pagers).

      Nate Dias, San Francisco

      I just checked out Hewlett Packard's ad for a birdwatching system called Bird
      Observation Service. You use cell phone and GPS technology to instantly
      report your position and what bird species you found to other users of the
      system -- worldwide. This could be a powerful tool for tracking endangered
      species! If you want to read about it, check out the website at: <A
      HREF="http://www.hp.com/country/us/eng/msg/corp/flashbirding.html">
      http://www.hp.com/country/us/eng/msg/corp/flashbirding.html</A>.

      I'd like to know if any of you use this or a similar system and whot you
      think about it.

      Linda Corey
      Stockton, CA

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
        At 01:30 PM 12/3/2002 -0800, Nathan Dias wrote:
        >A better system would be satellite-based email/text pagers (a la
        >Blackberry), a GPS display unit and a LISTSERV or other email group
        >distribution list.
        >
        >Then the person who saw bird X could note the GPS coordinates, send a text
        >email message (via Satellite) to a single email address which gets blasted
        >out to other list members (who would hopefully also have satellite-based
        >email/text pagers).

        This would be nice, except that BlackBerry is not satellite based. The
        specs below are taken from the BlackBerry website and match models to phone
        network technology:

        North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks - BlackBerry 5810 and 6710
        Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks - BlackBerry 6710
        North America: 800 MHz Nextel® network - BlackBerry 6510

        Satellite phones are very expensive, as is the service. I'm afraid that for
        now, we'll have to make do with current cellular technology. At least 3G
        will allow for always on internet connectivity. As for a listserv, there is
        no reason that BirdChat, Calbirds, and the regional lists can't supply
        that. I think that birders are getting pretty good at determining which
        sightings belong on local lists and which need to be more widely publicized.

        I've been sending reports from my cell phone while in the field for almost
        two years now, but with 2G technology, I have to connect to my ISP to
        download email.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22