Streaked Shearwater off San Clemente Island 23 November 2002

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2002
      Birders

      This morning at 755 AM, Eric Kershner and I found a Streaked Shearwater among
      a modest flight of seabirds moving south past West Cove Point. The bird was
      only 600 m from shore at its closest, and showed all the features typical of
      this species. There were several Northern Fulmars in the vicinity for useful
      comparison. We carefully ruled out any confusion species including aberrant
      Pink-footeds, Buller's and Wedge-tailed. Details will be submitted to the
      CBRC, and if accepted, I believe this record will be the southernmost in the
      US.
      There have been no less than 4 Streaked Shearwaters reported in
      California this fall, two of which I have been lucky enough to see. Today's
      bird looked more white-headed than the bird off Fort Bragg in August
      (recalling a light-morph Northern Fulmar at fisrt glance), although I am
      unsure as to how variable this species is in this respect. Otherwise, the
      bird was very similar, clean, and no molt.
      The number of Northern Fulmars around SCI lately seems promising for a
      potentially good pelagic trip off Santa Barbara next weekend. In addition,
      there are still Pink-footed Shearwaters in the vicinity of SCI, as well as
      arriving Short-tailed and lingering Sootie Shearwaters.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      SCE/NRO/NALF/SCI