last 02 socal pelagic

  • Mitch H
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      Hi Calbirders,

      There is one pelagic trip left this year in socal. Seems it will be the only socal pelagic bird trip from Oct 12 to next Feb.! Perhaps consider joining us on the Condor Express for another journey to the deep on Nov 30.

      Late Nov. is a little seabirded in socal, and there
      have been some great things seen at this time....
      The only socal public pelagic to record a Red-tailed
      Tropicbird was near Arguello, on "Thanksgiving" Saturday. I saw a Stejneger's Petrel out there in Nov. once too. It is also a time when Cook's Petrel is still possible, Of course us 'hardcores' are dreaming about things like Parakeet Auklet and Mottled Petrel....

      I think we've only missed Laysan and Black-footed Albys once in Nov.; we expect to see them. As many know, we can pull up on these things at 35 knots, and insure everyone gets looks on this vessel, which is not possible on other pelagic trips. I'm building a file of seabird airspeeds, something we could only dream about before the Condor Express.

      What a joy it is for a leader! On the late Sept. trip for instance, we ran down a Skua, and Red-billed Tropicbird, so everyone got incredible looks, instead of a few helplessly watching it fly off. Everyone gets the bird!

      These trips are 15-16 hrs., and depart at 5 a.m. from Santa Barbara. Cost is $175. Full galley for purchasing your meals available. The captains of the Condor in my view are the best bird boat captains in socal, far and away. Surely if you got on a whale watch trip telling them you're a birder would do little good compared to the Condor Express. They REALLY care and are interested.

      We have a great group of leaders including Don DesJardin, Peter Cantle, Jim Danzenbaker, Todd McGrath, Bernardo Alps, and myself.

      To make reservations, call Sea Landing at 805-963-3564, or go to http:www.condorcruises.com and some info is also on my site at
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics
      Just click yes you want to keep running scripts and
      ignore the warning. Everything should work fine...I haven't been able to find my script error yet.... but you need them running for instance if you use the link to socal swell models, to see all the models....

      When all breaks loose at the family reunion over
      Thanksgiving, remember, I gave you a way out :):):)

      see ya asea!
      best,
      Mitch - Torrance, CA
      Mitch Heindel
      birdfish@...
      (PLEASE use this e-dress)

      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com: Where singles click. Free to Search!
      http://www.lavalife.com/wp.epl?a=2716