parrots-temple city

  • Jim Zimmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      Hi CalBirders,

      This is my first message to the group. I hope it works.

      Several large groups of parakeets and amazon type parrots were found in the
      Temple City area of Los Angeles this last Saturday (11-2-02). Details below.

      Red-masked and Mitred Parakeets were found in the area around Rio Hondo
      School (Daines Dr. and Lenore Ave.). First birds showed up about 3:30 PM.
      Good light and great views. By 4:30 PM there were hundreds. About 4:45 PM
      four Red-fronted Parrots showed up.

      Red-fronted Parrots (ca. 1000 birds) showed up at a roost just before dark.
      This was just east of Daines and Pal Mal on Daines. When we got there it was
      too dark to get color on the birds. Some of these birds came in from the
      East but most from the West.

      A Yellow-chevroned Parakeet was seen at the wash near Daines and Persimmon.
      A single bird flyover at 10:00 AM.

      My impression from this single day's birding is that parakeets and amazons
      don't roost together. Parakeets are in their roosting areas well before
      dark. And that amazon parrots come in to their roost very late. My mag
      light wasn't enough for good color but I did get white eye shine.

      Later,

      Jim Zimmer
      Carlsbad, CA
    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
        Hi Jim

        Thanks for posting your observations. If you would like to learn more
        about the wild psittacids (parrots/keets) of California, visit our
        research website www.parrotproject.org.

        Karen Mabb, Kimball Garrett, and I have all posted some articles about
        the southern California flocks.

        Ali

[...]

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses: Turn off email delivery:
        mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/