Re: [CALBIRDS] Central Valley Birding Symposium

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
      The Computer Gremlin ate the "l" in Morlan- sorry Joe!

      Cheri A. Pillsbury
      Stockton, CA
      Publicity Chair, Central Valley Birding Symposium
      http://cvbs.org
    • Cheri Pillsbury
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
        Drum roll, please.........

        The brochures are in the mail, and you should be receiving them any day. If
        you can't wait (and who could blame you?) or you aren't on the mailing list,
        check out the website at http://cvbs.org

        Here's the promo, following which I'll announce a couple of changes to our
        usual format.

        The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the Seventh Annual Central
        Valley Birding Symposium Nov. 20-23, 2003 at the Radisson Hotel in Stockton,
        CA.

        There will be field trips, workshops, a Birding Nature Fair and Art Show
        with over 25 vendors selling nature related items, etc.

        Jon Dunn will be giving a Sparrow ID workshop, Steve Howell a Hummingbird ID
        Workshop, and Kimball Garrett will tell us "Why Birders Should Care About
        Subspecies".

        The Keynote Speakers are: Ed Harper- A Passion for Birds", Keith Hansen-
        "The Farallons", and John Hendrickson- "California Raptors".

        This year we are adding a post-Symposium field trip. Jon Dunn and Steve
        Howell will take 25 people on a Gull ID trip to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery
        Monday the 24th. There is a $20 fee for this trip which will go towards our
        Scholarship Fund.

        Also, there are only 20 slots for Jon Dunn's Sparrow ID field trip on
        Friday. To be fair, we will hold a drawing on Nov. 1 for all the people who
        put it down as their number one choice of Friday field trips. That way,
        people who don't find out about it until they get their October "Birding"
        magazines or Audubon chapter newsletters will have an equal chance.

        Be there or be square,

        Cheri Pillsbury
        Central Valley Birding Symposium
        Stockton
      • Cheri Pillsbury
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2005
          Thrills! Chills! WOW! moments aplenty! It's that time of year again, when
          birders plan to gather at the best birding Symposium around. The brochures
          will be in the mail in a week or two, but if you can't wait, (and who could
          blame you?) or aren't on the mailing list read the synopsis below and follow
          the link to the Website for a look.
          The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the Ninth Annual Central Valley
          Birding Symposium Nov. 17-20, 2005 at the Radisson Hotel in Stockton, CA.

          There will be field trips, workshops, and a Birding Nature Fair and Art Show
          with over 25 vendors selling nature-related items.

          Our Keynotes are set up a bit differently this year. Thursday we have "The
          Birds of the Central Valley" presented by naturalist Jules Evens using
          master photographer Ian Tate's photos. Friday is "Hot on the Trail of the
          Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by Bobby Harrison and our very own John Trochet.
          Yes, these guys searched for decades and saw the "Grail Bird" before the
          rest of us knew they still existed! What exciting tales they have to tell.
          Saturday night finds us in the company of Don Roberson. He has a Website
          devoted to "The History of California Birding", recounting the pre-computer
          days where dozens of eager (and now legendary) birders scoured the state and
          made history. Some of them may join Don and share in the discussion- many
          of them will be in attendance.

          Other events include workshops such as "Parts is More than Parts: Boning up
          on Bird Identification" by Kimball Garrett and "Shorebird ID Workshop" by
          Joe Morlan. There are also regional programs on topics such as Sacramento's
          Purple Martins and the Sutter Buttes.

          The schedule, brochure, registration form, etc. are on the website:
          http://cvbs.org The non-computer inclined can contact Frances Oliver at
          (209) 369-2010.

          There's something for everyone interested in birds. Come and join us to
          bird, learn, and just have fun!

          Cheri Pillsbury
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
            Hey, fellow bird lovers!  It’s time to get ready for the 14th Annual Central
            Valley Birding Symposium to be held at the Hilton in Stockton, CA, Nov. 18-21,
            2010.  Sponsored by the Central Valley Bird Club, we've won a reputation for
            throwing quite an event.

            This year for our evening programs we have amazing photographer and author Paul
            Bannick giving a program based on his book and research into “The Owls and
            Woodpeckers of the West”.  Author of dozens of books and articles and
            award-winning photographer Moose Petersen will give a presentation on
            “California’s Threatened and Endangered Birds”.

            Workshops include Jon Dunn on sparrows and Joe Morlan’s shorebird ID workshop
            focusing on loons and grebes.  There are many others, ranging from Central
            Valley Raptors to Beginning Birding and digiscoping to bird sketching.

            Our field trips always turn up exciting birds.  Add in the always entertaining
            and educational Bird ID Panel, the wonderful display of art and gifts for
            yourself or others at the Birder’s Market and the camaraderie of hundreds of
            like-minded folks, and you know you’ll have a good time!

            For more information or registration go to the website at www.cvbs.org or
            contact Frances Oliver at hummer52@...   The hottest field trips fill
            up really fast, so don't hesitate.  See you there!

            Cheri Pillsbury
            Central Valley Birding Symposium