Central Valley Birding Symposium

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2002
      Howdy Do,

      The Symposium is coming up the 21st- 24th, so if you've been putting off
      registering now's the time. We've still got a little space left, but we
      think we may fill up the venue this year.

      Shawneen Finnegan, Kevin Karlson, Ed Harper, Jon Dunn, Kimball Garrett, Joe
      Moran, John Robinson, Kelly Sorenson, etc. will be giving programs and
      workshops. The artists are impressive as well. Get your Holiday Shopping
      done at the wonderful Birder's Market.

      We're going to have a great deal of fun- come join us!

      Cheri A. Pillsbury
      Stockton, CA
      Publicity Chair, Central Valley Birding Symposium
      http://cvbs.org
    • Cheri Pillsbury

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
          Drum roll, please.........

          The brochures are in the mail, and you should be receiving them any day. If
          you can't wait (and who could blame you?) or you aren't on the mailing list,
          check out the website at http://cvbs.org

          Here's the promo, following which I'll announce a couple of changes to our
          usual format.

          The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the Seventh Annual Central
          Valley Birding Symposium Nov. 20-23, 2003 at the Radisson Hotel in Stockton,
          CA.

          There will be field trips, workshops, a Birding Nature Fair and Art Show
          with over 25 vendors selling nature related items, etc.

          Jon Dunn will be giving a Sparrow ID workshop, Steve Howell a Hummingbird ID
          Workshop, and Kimball Garrett will tell us "Why Birders Should Care About
          Subspecies".

          The Keynote Speakers are: Ed Harper- A Passion for Birds", Keith Hansen-
          "The Farallons", and John Hendrickson- "California Raptors".

          This year we are adding a post-Symposium field trip. Jon Dunn and Steve
          Howell will take 25 people on a Gull ID trip to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery
          Monday the 24th. There is a $20 fee for this trip which will go towards our
          Scholarship Fund.

          Also, there are only 20 slots for Jon Dunn's Sparrow ID field trip on
          Friday. To be fair, we will hold a drawing on Nov. 1 for all the people who
          put it down as their number one choice of Friday field trips. That way,
          people who don't find out about it until they get their October "Birding"
          magazines or Audubon chapter newsletters will have an equal chance.

          Be there or be square,

          Cheri Pillsbury
          Central Valley Birding Symposium
          Stockton
        • Cheri Pillsbury
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2005
            Thrills! Chills! WOW! moments aplenty! It's that time of year again, when
            birders plan to gather at the best birding Symposium around. The brochures
            will be in the mail in a week or two, but if you can't wait, (and who could
            blame you?) or aren't on the mailing list read the synopsis below and follow
            the link to the Website for a look.
            The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the Ninth Annual Central Valley
            Birding Symposium Nov. 17-20, 2005 at the Radisson Hotel in Stockton, CA.

            There will be field trips, workshops, and a Birding Nature Fair and Art Show
            with over 25 vendors selling nature-related items.

            Our Keynotes are set up a bit differently this year. Thursday we have "The
            Birds of the Central Valley" presented by naturalist Jules Evens using
            master photographer Ian Tate's photos. Friday is "Hot on the Trail of the
            Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by Bobby Harrison and our very own John Trochet.
            Yes, these guys searched for decades and saw the "Grail Bird" before the
            rest of us knew they still existed! What exciting tales they have to tell.
            Saturday night finds us in the company of Don Roberson. He has a Website
            devoted to "The History of California Birding", recounting the pre-computer
            days where dozens of eager (and now legendary) birders scoured the state and
            made history. Some of them may join Don and share in the discussion- many
            of them will be in attendance.

            Other events include workshops such as "Parts is More than Parts: Boning up
            on Bird Identification" by Kimball Garrett and "Shorebird ID Workshop" by
            Joe Morlan. There are also regional programs on topics such as Sacramento's
            Purple Martins and the Sutter Buttes.

            The schedule, brochure, registration form, etc. are on the website:
            http://cvbs.org The non-computer inclined can contact Frances Oliver at
            (209) 369-2010.

            There's something for everyone interested in birds. Come and join us to
            bird, learn, and just have fun!

            Cheri Pillsbury
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
              Hey, fellow bird lovers!  It’s time to get ready for the 14th Annual Central
              Valley Birding Symposium to be held at the Hilton in Stockton, CA, Nov. 18-21,
              2010.  Sponsored by the Central Valley Bird Club, we've won a reputation for
              throwing quite an event.

              This year for our evening programs we have amazing photographer and author Paul
              Bannick giving a program based on his book and research into “The Owls and
              Woodpeckers of the West”.  Author of dozens of books and articles and
              award-winning photographer Moose Petersen will give a presentation on
              “California’s Threatened and Endangered Birds”.

              Workshops include Jon Dunn on sparrows and Joe Morlan’s shorebird ID workshop
              focusing on loons and grebes.  There are many others, ranging from Central
              Valley Raptors to Beginning Birding and digiscoping to bird sketching.

              Our field trips always turn up exciting birds.  Add in the always entertaining
              and educational Bird ID Panel, the wonderful display of art and gifts for
              yourself or others at the Birder’s Market and the camaraderie of hundreds of
              like-minded folks, and you know you’ll have a good time!

              For more information or registration go to the website at www.cvbs.org or
              contact Frances Oliver at hummer52@...   The hottest field trips fill
              up really fast, so don't hesitate.  See you there!

              Cheri Pillsbury
              Central Valley Birding Symposium