FW: San Gabriel fire birds

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      From: "Kathi Ellsworth" <pandion@...>
      Subject: San Gabriel fire birds
      Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:15:19 -0800

      Hi, Calbirds

      Common Poorwill

      I've been bicycling in a canyon above San Dimas throughout the summer and
      after the fire, I was finally able to get back in there on Oct. 22, 2002.
      Regular birds are still there, like CA Towhee, Wrentit, etc., although
      fewer in numbers. A Great Horned Owl that has been there all summer is
      still there. The Yellow-rumps seem to like the blackened landscape. The
      best treat was 4 Common Poorwills I found at the base of the canyon. They
      would sit on the road, then fly up and hover over me and fly to sit a
      little further downhill, chirp chirp.

      I would think the fire has driven them down. This canyon is called Sycamore
      Canyon and is just west of San Dimas Canyon which is just north of San
      Dimas up San Dimas Canyon Road.

      Kathi Ellsworth
      San Dimas, CA

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22