FW: BBWO message from Dale Steele

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi CalBirders,

      I received the following response from Dale Steele of CA DF&G. I asked Dale
      for permission to post his message there, and he said okay. In the interest
      of preventing a reverse reaction, I'm editing out the name of the collector
      (hereafter known as C) and his institution (X). While the message was
      addressed to Chris Howard, all of us who wrote to complain were Cc:ed.

      Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:15:18 -0800
      From: "Dale Steele" <DSteele@...>

      Subject: Collection of two Black-backed Woodpeckers in Mono County

      I am writing you in response to concerns expressed by you and a number of
      people over an incident that happened earlier this year when C collected
      several Black-backed Woodpeckers in Mono County. C is a research associate
      at X and has a Scientific Collecting Permit issued by my agency. I have
      looked into the matter and am now reporting what I have determined.

      Although this collection was apparently legal under the terms of his
      permit, very poor judgement was used by the collector. I have discussed
      this matter with the Director of X and been assured that steps have been
      taken so that such an issue will not occur again. I believe that the
      collector has been properly reprimanded for his actions and that in the
      future, all collecting activities by X staff will follow a protocol which
      requires prior approval by the Director or head of the biological sciences
      division. I am satisfied that these measures are appropriate and adequate
      to avoid future problems like this. I also believe that this is an isolated
      incident that does not reflect normal scientific collecting practices.

      At this time, I believe that this unfortunate incident has been properly
      resolved and I do not intend to take any further action. I would be happy
      to try and answer any questions that may result from this information.

      I also want to say that my agency appreciates and values the contributions
      made towards conserving California's natural resources by all who work to
      do so, either for recreation or as professionals.

      Sincerely,
      Dale Steele

      Dale Steele, Supervising Biologist
      Species Conservation & Recovery Program,
      Calif. Dept. Fish & Game
      1416 Ninth St, suite 1341
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      (916) 653-3444 office
      (916) 653-2588 fax
      (916) 698-1146 cell
      http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hcpb

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22