Re: [CALBIRDS] Three-Toed Woodpecker Query

  • Jim Lomax
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2002
      There are other GOOD reasons for not reporting this or any other sighting of Three-toed Woodpecker to the general public. As has been noted recently with the killing of female Black-backed Woodpeckers in Mono County, there is a certain collector, mouth salivating, who would most certainly and for whatever, personal glory, monitary gain, least of all scientific reasons, who would with heart pounding, sweat dripping, fingers trembling, lower his shotgun sights onto the Three-toed and blast away to "collect" for some museum study because we all know there aren't enough dead common birds in America to study and this bird would have made the mistake of crossing a geographical boundry.

      Jim Lomax
      From: "Kimball Garrett" <kgarrett@...>
      Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:28:41 -0700
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] Three-toed Woodpecker Removed From California List

      California Birders:
      In a recent decision, the California Bird Records Committee has
      removed Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides tridactylus) from the
      California state list, based on a re-review of the previously
      accepted sight record from the Warner Mtns., Modoc Co., 2 Nov
      1985.

      Very few species are on the California list by virtue of sight
      records without supporting tangible documentation such as a
      specimen, photographs, or video- or audio-tape. The Committee
      By-Laws allow for the acceptance of sight-only records for first
      state records, but such records are increasingly receiving
      very strict scrutiny. In the re-review of the Three-toed
      Woodpecker record, a majority of Committee members felt that the
      documentation did not meet today's strict standards, though a
      minority of members continued to support the record based on
      the written description.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22

      I've been meaning to mention the following for several years now...

      Brian Woodbridge, a well-respected wildlife biologist for Klamath National
      Forest, said he had Three-toed Woodpecker in Modoc County about 1994. Word of
      this reached me about 1.5 years later. I believe they were nesting, although
      I don't recall the details at this time. In 1996 Gjon Hazard, John Hunter and
      myself searched the area in Modoc without success. I will contact Brian for
      details. One of the reasons we haven't spoke of this before is because Brian
      had his field crews search for the bird(s) the year following their initial
      detection without success, nor did we we detect them two years hence (I know,
      not really good enough reasons...).

      When I spoke to him about 1996, he mentioned that -- although certain of the
      identification -- he never reported the bird to the general birding community
      because he was aware of nesting in Oregon ~70-100 miles north, and he didn't
      feel as though their presence in California was that big of a deal. I assured
      him it was.

      Tom Leskiw
      Eureka, CA

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2002
        At 03:06 PM 10/26/2002 -0700, Jim Lomax wrote:
        >There are other GOOD reasons for not reporting this or any other sighting
        >of Three-toed Woodpecker to the general public.

        Maybe so, but there is no valid reason for not reporting it to the CBRC.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 26, 2002
          Agreed.

          Jim

          At 03:06 PM 10/26/2002 -0700, Jim Lomax wrote:
          >There are other GOOD reasons for not reporting this or any other sighting
          >of Three-toed Woodpecker to the general public.

          Maybe so, but there is no valid reason for not reporting it to the CBRC.

          Good birding,
          Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

          10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
          SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kimball Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 28, 2002
            At 03:06 PM 10/26/02 -0700, Jim Lomax wrote:
            >There are other GOOD reasons for not reporting this or any other sighting
            of Three-toed Woodpecker to the general public. >As has been noted recently
            with the killing of female Black-backed Woodpeckers in Mono County, there
            is a certain >collector, mouth salivating, who would most certainly and
            for whatever, personal glory, monitary gain, least of all >scientific
            reasons, who would with heart pounding, sweat dripping, fingers trembling,
            lower his shotgun sights onto the >Three-toed and blast away to "collect"
            for some museum study because we all know there aren't enough dead common
            birds in >America to study and this bird would have made the mistake of
            crossing a geographical boundry.

            Common sense would dictate that the vitriolic post above does not
            warrant a response, but (lacking common sense) I did want to point
            out a couple of things.

            First, about that "monitary [sic] gain"..... Those few who have
            worked hard to obtain much needed scientific specimens that form
            the basis of the taxonomic decisions, distributional data, and
            field guide illustrations that all birders depend upon have generally
            undertaken this endeavor with minimal institutional support and
            laughably low salaries, or have paid all expenses themselves. The
            notion that there is any real monetary gain in collecting scientific
            specimens is ridiculous.

            As for the salivating, sweating, trembling, and heart-pounding.....
            This sounds as much like a description of a birder who is burning
            50 gallons of gas in a SUV on the way to twitching some rarity as it
            does a description of a scientific collector (none of whom, that I
            know, derive any enjoyment from the process of sacrificing the lives
            of birds).

            And as to the notion that "there aren't enough dead common birds in
            America to study", I would say that Mr. Lomax was finally quite
            accurate -- and I refer Calbirders once again to Van Remsen's
            excellent paper in Bird Concervation International that details just
            why present-day collections need to be augmented.

            Mr. Lomax has every right to vocally disagree with the act of
            collecting two Mono Basin Black-backed Woodpeckers, but to describe
            a collector's work with adjectives that might more accurately apply to
            the D.C. area sniper is simply unfair.

            Kimball

            Kimball L. Garrett
            Ornithology Collections Manager