Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Mono Lake & June lake RFI

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
      At 05:50 PM 10/8/2002 -0700, Kimball Garrett wrote:
      >First, most or all of us in the very tiny community of scientific
      >collectors of birds in California agree heartily with Chris that "staked
      >out" birds should not be collected and that this particular case
      >represented, at best, very poor judgment on the part of the
      >collector. The fact is, the taking of staked-out birds almost never
      >happens and there are more important issues for us all to be concerned about.
      >
      >Second, I would urge everybody to remember that this is about the
      >particular issue of collecting staked-out birds and not about scientific
      >collecting in general. Any communications to the Department of Fish and
      >Game regarding the collection of these woodpeckers should be factual and,
      >in my opinion, limited to this particular case and not to the whole issue
      >of collecting.

      Kimball, Chris, and Calbirders,

      To me, there are worse offenses involved in this case than taking
      staked-out birds. Much more heinous is that the birds were the only two
      adult females in the area and both were taken from active nests. That is
      the point I stressed in my email to Dan Steele.

      In my opinion, collecting should be done only in areas where the local
      population is not significantly impacted, and on places like the Farallons
      where the likelihood of the bird ever seeing land again is very slim.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Jim Lomax
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
        To process a complaint, we need this collector's name. I saw these birds. I'm glad I wasn't there when they were collected or the collector would have been collected.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
          Steve:

          Why am I still getting CALBIRDS when I put "no mail" in my group
          preferences? Since I'm going to be gone for 5 days, I don't want to have
          so much mail piling up.

          Thanks, as usual, for your help. I'll see you at the conference and will
          have a couple of Tanagers for you.

          Jean