McCown's Longspur on San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2002
      Birders

      Today I found a first-winter McCown's Longspur among a flock of Horned Larks
      at Lemon Tank on San Clemente Island. This represents the first record of
      this species for SCI. Other birds of note were two Cinnamon Teal at Lemon
      Tank, a Band-tailed Pigeon at Chamish Canyon, and the first Cassin's Auklets
      and Surf Scoters moving south past West Cove Point. A Large-billed Savannah
      Sparrow continues at West Cove Point. Pomarine Jaeger numbers are on the
      rise as well.

      Numbers of White-tailed Kites are arriving on the island. We have up to ten
      on island at the moment, last year's count peaked at 4. There have been as
      many as approximately 50 here in previous winters, a curious
      dispersal/migratory movement from the mainland. Most leave by January. Is
      this species seen during hawk watches at Point Loma? We have also seen
      unusually high numbers of Sharp-shinned Hawks over the past few days, likely
      due to the crystal clear, windless conditions we've had recently.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      SCE/NRO/NALF/SCI