Re: [CALBIRDS] Le Conte's Sparrow at Furnace Creek Ranch

  • Todd Easterla
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
      Hello All,

      I guess that I will start reporting birds seen in the desert from now on, as
      it is getting quite annoying that others like my self aren't doing it.

      On Friday, October the 4th at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley I saw the
      following species:
      -(2) Chestnut-collared Longspurs
      -American Redstart
      -Black and White Warbler
      -Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (juv)
      -Red naped (adult)
      - (3) White-throated sparrows
      -An Ammodramas Sparrow seen in the same location
      as the Leconte's. That was probably the same bird,
      that I flused twice without good looks and passed it
      off as a probable Grasshopper, because I could not
      relocate it, Oh well.

      Panamint Springs on the same day 10-04
      -American Redstart
      -Yellow-breasted Chat

      Galileo Hill on 10-05

      -Least Flycatcher
      -Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (juv)
      -Scarlet Tananger (not found by me)
      -Broad Winged Hawk (juv-not found by me)
      -Black-poll Warbler (not found by me)
      -Lapland longspur (fly over w/Horned Larks)

      California City area on 10-05
      - Yellow-bellied Flycatcher ( also seen by 5 other
      observers Vernon Howe, Andrew Howe, Sandy
      Koonce and two other observers that I can't remember
      there names...)
      -Grasshopper Sparrow
      -Palm Warbler ( not found by me)
      -White-headed Woodpecker (not me)

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
        Todd Easterla wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I guess that I will start reporting birds seen in the desert from now on, ....

        Todd,
        I, for one, greatly enjoy and appreciate all reports of birds seen out
        in the desert.

        They give me "eyes to see" in places I can not, at the moment, go to.

        They give me a seasonal frame of reference of what to expect when we do
        get out that way.

        Thank you so much for you willingness to make the effort.

        Delores Jenisch
        Fullerton, North Orange County