Le Conte's Sparrow at Furnace Creek Ranch

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
      Hi All,

      I expected to see a report here on this bird by the time I got home. There
      is a Le Conte's Sparrow at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. It was in
      the tall grass and reeds along the ditch in the small date palm grove south
      of the #700 building. It was originally found on Sunday by Rosie (Howard?).
      Joan Franco, Jim Abernathy, and I saw it this afternoon at about 4:30.

      This bird is a real skulker! Each of the 3 brief times I saw it, I found it
      by seeing the grass move. Once it got as close as 8 feet, popped its head
      up and flew back to the reeds. It never stayed visible long enough to video
      tape.

      Chris Howard, in his report to John Green, called it "a gorgeously
      orange-striped sparrow" and I have to agree.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Todd Easterla
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
        Hello All,

        I guess that I will start reporting birds seen in the desert from now on, as
        it is getting quite annoying that others like my self aren't doing it.

        On Friday, October the 4th at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley I saw the
        following species:
        -(2) Chestnut-collared Longspurs
        -American Redstart
        -Black and White Warbler
        -Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (juv)
        -Red naped (adult)
        - (3) White-throated sparrows
        -An Ammodramas Sparrow seen in the same location
        as the Leconte's. That was probably the same bird,
        that I flused twice without good looks and passed it
        off as a probable Grasshopper, because I could not
        relocate it, Oh well.

        Panamint Springs on the same day 10-04
        -American Redstart
        -Yellow-breasted Chat

        Galileo Hill on 10-05

        -Least Flycatcher
        -Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (juv)
        -Scarlet Tananger (not found by me)
        -Broad Winged Hawk (juv-not found by me)
        -Black-poll Warbler (not found by me)
        -Lapland longspur (fly over w/Horned Larks)

        California City area on 10-05
        - Yellow-bellied Flycatcher ( also seen by 5 other
        observers Vernon Howe, Andrew Howe, Sandy
        Koonce and two other observers that I can't remember
        there names...)
        -Grasshopper Sparrow
        -Palm Warbler ( not found by me)
        -White-headed Woodpecker (not me)

        > I expected to see a report here on this bird by the time I got home. There
        > is a Le Conte's Sparrow at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. It was in
        > the tall grass and reeds along the ditch in the small date palm grove
        south
        > of the #700 building. It was originally found on Sunday by Rosie
        (Howard?).
        > Joan Franco, Jim Abernathy, and I saw it this afternoon at about 4:30.
        >
        > This bird is a real skulker! Each of the 3 brief times I saw it, I found
        it
        > by seeing the grass move. Once it got as close as 8 feet, popped its head
        > up and flew back to the reeds. It never stayed visible long enough to
        video
        > tape.
        >
        > Chris Howard, in his report to John Green, called it "a gorgeously
        > orange-striped sparrow" and I have to agree.
        >

        > Good birding,
        > Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use
        > <mailto:mobile@...> for rare birds and emergencies only
        >
        > Steve Sosensky, photographer www.sosensky.com
        > 10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        > Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        > Audubon in So. California www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/
        > San Fernando Valley AS www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
        > AIM ID: SteveS310 Yahoo Messenger ID: SteveSosensky
        > SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22

        these addresses:

      • Delores J. Jenisch
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
          Todd Easterla wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I guess that I will start reporting birds seen in the desert from now on, ....

          Todd,
          I, for one, greatly enjoy and appreciate all reports of birds seen out
          in the desert.

          They give me "eyes to see" in places I can not, at the moment, go to.

          They give me a seasonal frame of reference of what to expect when we do
          get out that way.

          Thank you so much for you willingness to make the effort.

          Delores Jenisch
          Fullerton, North Orange County