Re: [CALBIRDS] San Clemente Island bird news

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2002
      In a message dated 10/7/2002 9:08:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      rfs_berkeley@... writes:

      > Hello Brian, I am curious. How did you ID the Summer Tanager as 'eastern'?
      > -Rusty

      Rusty

      This male Summer Tanager was very bright red including the nape and rump, and
      was small-billed, unlike the more drab large-billed local western breeders.
      Incidentally, Guy McCaskie reports that all specimen records of Summer
      Tanager for San Diego County are of the eastern subspecies. I should have
      some good pictures of the bird.

      We found and photographed the first Large-billed Savannah Sparrow for San
      Clemente Island this morning.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      SCE/NRO/NALF/SCI
      PO Box 357054
      San Diego, CA
      92135

      HeraldPetrel@...
      blsullivan71@...
      bsullivan@...

    • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2004
        Birders

        Today 18 Sep, two Red-breasted Nuthatches were found here on San Clemente
        Island. This species is recorded sporadically on the island, but there have
        been no fall records here since 1998. Interestingly, on my recent trip to St.
        Lawrence Island, AK, we had a small fallout of this species in early September.
        Perhaps and invasion year is in the offing?

        Otherwise, excellent numbers of western migrants and a few rarities have
        turned up this early fall. Impressive early season numbers of Lark Buntings were
        unusual, as were numbers of Baird's and Solitary Sandpipers, and Brewer's
        Sparrows. Rarities so far have been Bobolink (5), Purple Martin (1), Orchard
        Oriole (1 female), and Tennessee Warbler (2). On 13 Sep the nesting
        White-tailed Kites returned to their single Eucalyptus tree. A large fallout of
        western migrants was observed on 16 Sep. Swainson's Thrushes are moving south
        nocturnally in good numbers.

        No confirmed Red-billed Tropicbirds as of yet.

        thanks

        Brian L. Sullivan
        PRBO Conservation Science
        San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
        2515 Camino del Rio South
        Suite 334
        San Diego, CA
        92108