last 3 socal pelagics of '02

  • Mitch H
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2002
      Hi all,

      This has probably been the best single year for pelagics seen in socal, with Streaked Shearwater, a flock of Wilson's Storm-Petrels, June Tufted Puffin & Flesh-footed Shear, Murphy's Petrel, hypoleucus
      Xantus's, etc., etc..

      See the socal seabirds '02 list at my website... I've seen 36+ sps. of seabirds on scheduled socal pelagics this year, and 40 sps. in the state!

      There are three trips left this year in socal. There are two LAAS trips, and one Condor Express deepwater trip. The LAAS trips are next Sat., Oct. 12 from Marina del Rey, and Nov. 9 from Ventura, which drops campers at S.Cruz Isl. (might see the Jay) and then goes out to waters around S.Miguel Isl. The latter trip birds Ventura and S.Barb.
      Co. waters. It is in danger of cancelling in a couple days if we don't get a FLOOD of signups for it. Call Audubon House Tues-Sat 10-4
      PDT at 323-876-0202.

      The Condor Express deepwater trip is Nov. 30, the Sat. of Thanksgiving weekend. This gives travel time to get there and back, and a way to avoid the family :):). Late Nov. is the period when we
      saw the only Red-TAILED Tropicbird ever seen on a socal public pelagic trip. The only Stejneger's I've seen was then as well. Target species are Laysan Albatross (missed 1/5 trips in Nov),
      Mottled and Stejneger's Petrels, and Parakeet Auklet. Hey we can hope and wish, right?!?!
      Did you know it takes 26 knots to overtake a Wilson's Storm-Petrel, and 34 knots to overtake a
      Leach's? We do! Join us and see! We have great leaders this trip: Todd McGrath, Jim Danzenbaker, Peter Cantle, Don DesJardin, myself, and others... Join us on the last socal pelagic of the year!
      We hope to go out with a "bang"!

      Go to: www.condorcruises.com
      or call sealanding 805-963-3564
      My website has info about Arguello Cyn., the boat,
      sightings out there, etc.,
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics

      Mitch - Torrance CA when not floating
      Mitch Heindel
      birdfish@...

      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      "Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash
      back!"
      http://www.bestbuyfinder.com/download.htm

      As AttachmentInline Text Previous | Next | INBOX
      Trash

      © 2002 Mail.com. All rights reserved.