Pt. Reyes 10/5 and 10/6

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2002
      I took two groups from my Palo Alto Adult School Intermediate/Advanced
      Birding class to Pt. Reyes this weekend. We mostly covered the outer
      point areas.

      Saturday, the highlights were the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at the Nunes
      Ranch ("A" Ranch) and the AMERICAN REDSTART at the Northern District
      Operation Center (RCA Station). We also saw a slaty FOX SPARROW with
      the White-throated Sparrow at Nunes. Ken Burton told us about a River
      Otter in the lagoon at Drakes Beach, which was an interesting sighting. We
      also saw about 6 Harbor Porpoise off Drakes Beach.

      Sunday's highlights were a WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER at the Fish Docks,
      2 BOBOLINKs at the field that's 200 yds. south of the North Beach turn-
      off, and the continuing AMERICAN REDSTART at the No. District Ops Stn.
      We also had a PALM WARBLER and a BLACKPOLL WARBLER in the Mendoza
      ("B") Ranch trees and a PECTORAL SANDPIPER at the pond. At the Nunes
      ("A") Ranch grove we saw a reported VARIED THRUSH.

      GOLDEN- and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETs were abundant on both days along
      with FOX SPARROWs. Many HERMIT THRUSHes dropped in for Sunday.

      Les
      --
      Les Chibana
      BirdNUTZ(TM) - Ornigasmic Birding