Mono Lake & June lake RFI

  • JLobel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2002
      We'll be there next weekend.

      Any recent sightings of Black-backed Woodpecker at the forest near the South
      Tufa area? Or any recent sightings of them in the general area?

      Thanks!
      John

      John Lobel
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      JLobel@...
    • Chris Howard
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
        John and Calbirders-

        If you have not already heard, I regret to inform you that two of the
        Mono Basin Black-backed Woodpeckers have been collected.

        The very unfortunate incident occurred last April when a
        birder/collector shot 2 female Black-backed Woodpeckers in the
        recently burned forest south of Mono Lake. The collector apparently
        did not consider the importance of these birds to the birding
        community. The circumstances were as follows: 1) approximately four
        BBWO's colonized an area where the species had never been recorded;
        2) these birds received major publicity through a "Winging It"
        article and were featured on the Mono Lake Committee website.
        Birders from around the state and beyond came to visit these birds;
        3) the collector shot two of the female BBWO's in the peak of the
        breeding season.

        When birders and other collectors learned of this incident they
        became justifiably outraged. That a collector unilaterally decided
        these specific, publicly-valued woodpeckers would be better off in a
        museum is despicable.

        As birders, I think most of us can appreciate good science. To this
        end, I believe limited scientific collecting does have its place in
        modern ornithology. However, scientific collectors need to factor in
        all ramifications, including affecting the birding public, before
        deciding to collect. In California, there are legitimate and ethical
        scientific collectors who feel the BBWO collector's decision is
        disgraceful. Nearly everyone I've talked to feels this collector
        should have his scientific collection permit revoked. Further, this
        collector apparently has a history of collecting publicly-
        valued "stakeout" birds, e.g., Least Flycatcher last winter on a
        Christmas Bird Count.

        If you feel, as I do, this individual should have his scientific
        collecting permit revoked please contact Dale Steele, Supervising
        Biologist, Fish and Game Department Species Conservation and Recovery
        Program at dsteele@... or (916) 653-3444.

        By the way, I have not heard of any recent reports on the remaining
        BBWO's since the collecting, but have had luck in Toulumne Meadows
        and Devils Postpile.

        Regards,
        Chris Howard
        Bishop

        --- In CALBIRDS@y..., JLobel@a... wrote:
        > We'll be there next weekend.
        >
        > Any recent sightings of Black-backed Woodpecker at the forest near
        the South
        > Tufa area? Or any recent sightings of them in the general area?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > John
        >

        > John Lobel
        > Thousand Oaks, CA
        > JLobel@a...
      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
          At 11:49 PM 10/8/02 -0000, Chris Howard wrote:
          >John and Calbirders-
          >
          >If you have not already heard, I regret to inform you that two of the
          >Mono Basin Black-backed Woodpeckers have been collected.

          Calbirders:

          Ironically, I was just about out the door of the museum on my way to giving
          a program to Los Angeles Audubon entitled "What Museum Collections Teach Us
          About Birds and Bird Conservation" when Chris Howard's e-mail popped up. I
          have no intention of engaging in a pro- vs. anti-collecting debate on
          Calbirds, and this is NOT the place for such a debate. But I did want to
          point out three things.

          First, most or all of us in the very tiny community of scientific collectors
          of birds in California agree heartily with Chris that "staked out" birds
          should
          not be collected and that this particular case represented, at best, very
          poor
          judgment on the part of the collector. The fact is, the taking of staked-out
          birds almost never happens and there are more important issues for us all
          to be
          concerned about.

          Second, I would urge everybody to remember that this is about the particular
          issue of collecting staked-out birds and not about scientific collecting in
          general. Any communications to the Department of Fish and Game regarding the
          collection of these woodpeckers should be factual and, in my opinion, limited
          to this particular case and not to the whole issue of collecting. In
          fairness,
          the collector and/or the institution for which he was collecting should be
          allowed
          to make their case to the birding community and DF&G if they wish to do so.

          Finally, for those who feel this really does have to be about the issue of
          collecting in general, please read the following before going any further;
          it is
          extremely educational:

          Remsen, J. V., Jr. 1995. The importance of continued collecting of bird
          specimens to ornithology and bird conservation. Bird Conservation
          International 5:145-180.

          Kimball
          (no, there are no Mono Basin BBWO in the LACM collections........)

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.
          Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
          (213) 763-3368
          (213) 746-2999 FAX
          kgarrett@...
        • Steve Sosensky
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
            At 05:50 PM 10/8/2002 -0700, Kimball Garrett wrote:
            >First, most or all of us in the very tiny community of scientific
            >collectors of birds in California agree heartily with Chris that "staked
            >out" birds should not be collected and that this particular case
            >represented, at best, very poor judgment on the part of the
            >collector. The fact is, the taking of staked-out birds almost never
            >happens and there are more important issues for us all to be concerned about.
            >
            >Second, I would urge everybody to remember that this is about the
            >particular issue of collecting staked-out birds and not about scientific
            >collecting in general. Any communications to the Department of Fish and
            >Game regarding the collection of these woodpeckers should be factual and,
            >in my opinion, limited to this particular case and not to the whole issue
            >of collecting.

            Kimball, Chris, and Calbirders,

            To me, there are worse offenses involved in this case than taking
            staked-out birds. Much more heinous is that the birds were the only two
            adult females in the area and both were taken from active nests. That is
            the point I stressed in my email to Dan Steele.

            In my opinion, collecting should be done only in areas where the local
            population is not significantly impacted, and on places like the Farallons
            where the likelihood of the bird ever seeing land again is very slim.

            Good birding,
            Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

            10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
            Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
            SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
          • Jim Lomax
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
              To process a complaint, we need this collector's name. I saw these birds. I'm glad I wasn't there when they were collected or the collector would have been collected.

              Jim

              --- In CALBIRDS@y..., JLobel@a... wrote:
              > We'll be there next weekend.
              >
              > Any recent sightings of Black-backed Woodpecker at the forest near
              the South
              > Tufa area? Or any recent sightings of them in the general area?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > John
              >

              > John Lobel
              > Thousand Oaks, CA
              > JLobel@a...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Jean D. Brandt
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
                Steve:

                Why am I still getting CALBIRDS when I put "no mail" in my group
                preferences? Since I'm going to be gone for 5 days, I don't want to have
                so much mail piling up.

                Thanks, as usual, for your help. I'll see you at the conference and will
                have a couple of Tanagers for you.

                Jean