Streaked Shearwater Records for North America

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2002
      Calbirders,

      Since there has recently been some discussion about Streaked
      Shearwater records for North America, I thought I would summarize
      the occurrences accepted by the California and Oregon record
      committees, as well as deal with pending records. There is also one
      unsubmitted report that appears valid. Four of the seven accepted
      records were recorded on Shearwater Journeys trips, seven of eleven
      if you include the pending sightings, eight of twelve if you include
      the unsubmitted sighting.

      No matter how you do the math, Shearwater Journeys has sighted more
      Streaked Shearwaters than every other pelagic operator on the west
      coast, combined.

      03 Oct 1975 - Monterey Bay (Collected)
      09 Oct 1977 - Monterey Bay *
      26 Sep 1982 - 2 km west of Moss Landing, MTY*
      22 Sep 1985 - 3.5 Mi SW, Pt. Pinos, MTY*
      07 Sep 1992 - Monterey Bay*
      13 Aug 1993 - Red Bluff, TEH (K-Mart Shopping Center)
      10 Sep 1995 - 22 mi west of Moss Landing, MTY

      In addition there are 4 records pending
      06 Oct 2001 - Monterey Bay, MTY*
      07 Sep 2002 - near Santa Cruz Island (LAAS Trip)
      17 Aug 2002 - Ft Bragg, MEN*
      29 Sep 2002 - Cordell bank, MRN*

      There is an additional record that was not submitted to the committee

      14 Oct 1978 - Monterey Bay*

      There is one accepted record for Oregon

      13 Sep 1996 - 57km off Southern Oregon

      Thanks to Greg Gilson from Oregon who provided details about the
      Oregon sighting, and Mike San Miguel who provided data about some of
      the CA records.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Marina Del Rey, CA