Murre or Murrelet???

  • mr_storey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      Last Wednesday, October 2nd, while on a Madrone Audubon birdwalk, we
      came across a bird swimming just off shore at Doran Park at Bodega
      Bay. This bird caused a lot of discussion about what species it
      might be. Some of us thought it had characteristics of a Common
      Murre, while others thought it was a Marbled Murrelet. The bird did
      not have a horizontal bar above the wing, and the bill did not seem
      right for a Marbled Murrelet, not did the bird have the right shape
      for a Common Murre. Also, the bird was not swimming near any other
      bird for us to get a size comparison.

      I took some pictures of the bird from shore, and the pictures turned
      out poor at the best. I have now posted three of the pictures on my
      website ( http://home.attbi.com/~rastorey/ ) which can be viewed from
      the Home Page by clicking on the "Murre or Murrelet" button. I am
      seeking help in trying to identify this bird, so if you can look at
      the pictures and identify the bird please e-mail with your opinion of
      what species it is.

      Ron Storey
      Petaluma, CA
      http://home.attbi.com/~rastorey/