Red-throated Pipit on San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Birders

      Today John Brollini and I tracked down a Red-throated Pipit at Lemon Tank, a
      first for San Clemente Island. I heard a suspicious bird yesterday afternoon
      while birding the area, but could not locate the bird before I had to leave.
      After consulting with Marshall Iliff about the flight call of RTPI it
      inspired me to go out and have another look. As if on cue, just as I was
      discussing the flight note that I heard with Brollini, the bird popped out of
      the grass, allowed an identification, then flew off calling. It returned to
      the area and allowed close approach several times.

      Other birds of note were two Clay-colored Sparrows yesterday, three Greater
      White-fronted Geese, and a male Lawrence's Goldfinch.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      SCE/NRO/NALF/SCI
      PO Box 357054
      San Diego, CA
      92135

      HeraldPetrel@...
      blsullivan71@...
      bsullivan@...

    • jimmy_mcmorran
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
        Calbirders,

        A Red-throated Pipit was heard calling as it flew in to the Lemon
        Tank area today. The pipit landed rather close to me and associated
        with a large flock of Horned Larks on the waters edge. Unfortunately
        the visit was cut short due to a low flying kestrel that flushed up
        this group of birds along with others about a minute after its
        arrival. I kept my eye on the calling pipit as it veered off from
        the Horned Larks and flew in a southerly direction until out of
        sight. I stayed in the area for about an hour and it was not seen or
        heard again. Also in the area today was an adult Tennessee Warbler
        and a Virginia's Warbler.

        A few other recent sightings of note:

        Varied Thrush (male) 10/11 - Lemon Tank
        Tennessee Warbler (1st winter) 10/11 - Lemon Tank
        Palm Warbler 10/11 - Lemon Tank
        Varied Thrush (male) 10/6 - Chad's Bluff
        Lapland Longspur 10/6 - Chad's Bluff
        Chestnut-collared Longspur 10/6 - Chad's Bluff
        Yellow-shafted Flicker 10/6 - Lemon Tank
        Ovenbird 10/5 - Burn's Canyon
        Indigo Bunting (female) 10/1 - Lemon Tank
        2) Northern Waterthrush 9/24 -one at Lemon Tank and one at Chad's
        Bluff
        2) Tennessee Warblers and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak were seen at
        Lemon Tank 9/24 by Robert McMorran.

        Thanks,
        Jimmy McMorran