Re: [CALBIRDS] Island Scrub-Jay movements question

  • Jeff Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      Dear Nathan --

      Santa Rosa and Anacapa each are about 5 miles from Santa Cruz. As
      far as I know no Island Scrub-Jay has ever made it to either of these
      nearest islands in modern times. And in fact the jay was thought not
      to have ever flown over water to get to Santa Cruz itself. Rather,
      it may have colonized during the northern Channel Islands peninsular
      stage of the Pleistocene (see CONDOR 74:295-315). Likewise there are
      no records of Western Scrub-Jay on any of the Channel Islands (~11
      miles from mainland to Anacapa) or the Farallon Islands (~25 miles
      from mainland to Southeast Farallon).

      Jeff Davis
      Fresno, CA

      --
    • Jeff Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        The paper I cited earlier was an old one. Paul is right about the
        more current view of Pleistocene bathymetry. And apparently there
        was a record of Western Scrub-Jay from the Farallones. But Ned
        Johnson, in the same 1972 paper I cited before, considered the bird
        to be human assisted. Pyle and Henderson (WESTERN BIRDS 22:41-84) do
        not even mention it in their 1991 summary of occurrence patterns of
        SE Farallon birds. In a nice overview in BIRDING (29:476-485; 1997),
        Atwood and Collins suggest the most plausible explanation for the
        presence of the jay on Santa Cruz Island is overwater flight. During
        the late Pleistocene this distance would have been as little as 4
        miles. But, apparently, available molecular data cannot be used to
        determine time of divergence with other Aphelocoma jays. Therefore
        the approximate time of its arrival on the island is not known. The
        origin of slender salamanders and a night lizard on some of the
        islands is mysterious. Schoenherr, Feldmeth, and Emerson (Natural
        History of the Islands of California, UC Press, 1999) suggest they
        may have arrived by vacariant transport, associated with plate
        tectonics. In the Miocene the northern islands may have been
        connected to the mainland much farther south, but slid northward
        along fault systems to their present location. Although overwater
        flight during the Pleistocene seems a more likely hypothesis for the
        jay's island origin than vacariance during the Miocene, perhaps the
        latter cannot be ruled out.

        Jeff Davis
        Fresno, CA

        --

[...]