Streaked Shearwater - Cordell Bank

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2002
      Calbirders:

      Shearwater Journeys' September 29th Cordell Bank trip recorded A
      Streaked Shearwater. The bird was found by Shearwater Journeys leader
      Steve Howell as we returned from a spectacular day at the bank. This
      bird was a lifer for Steve, who has seen 90% of the world's
      tubenoses, but had never before seen a Streaked. The bird was seen
      reasonably well, but did not remain around the boat for long.

      This is the third Streaked Shearwater record for CA this fall, and
      the second recorded on a Shearwater Journeys trip!

      It seems as if A Streaked Shearwater incursion is underway, and the
      peak period is now upon us. There are space on all upcoming
      Shearwater Journeys trips, and I would suggest that any trip between
      now and mid-October has a chance at this bird.

      visit Shearwater Jouneys at www.Shearwaterjorneys.com or contact Debi
      at 831-637-8528 for more info.

      Debi will post full details of the trip later in the week, but other
      highlights were 2 Laysan Albatross, one flock of Sabine's Gulls
      numbering several thousand that lasted nearly 5 miles, and a Wilson's
      Storm-petrel.

      Todd McGrath
      for Shearwater Journeys
      skua@...