Crescent City Pelagic Results (Del Norte County) 9-14-2002

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      CALBIRDS, NWCALBIRD, County Birders:

      Results (highlights) of Crescent City Pelagic (Del Norte County) 9-14-2002
      (lacking actual total counts):

      Black-footed Albatross (at least 7 seen together at one time)
      Northern Fulmar
      Pink-footed Shearwater
      Flesh-footed Shearwater
      Buller's Shearwater
      Sooty Shearwater
      Red-necked Phalarope
      Pomarine Jaeger
      Parasitic Jaeger
      Long-tailed Jaeger
      California Gull
      Herring Gull
      Western Gull
      Common Tern
      Sabine's gull
      Common Murre
      Thick-billed Murre* (first county record?)
      Pigeon Guillemot
      Marbled Murrelet (at least 4)
      Xanthus' Murrelet (2)
      Cassin's Auklet
      Rhinoceros Auklet

      Afterwards several of us drove to the Elk River Trail behind the Safeway
      Market in Crescent City where Rob Hewitt had found a Prothonotary Warbler
      the day before. We did find a warbler flock of at least 40 birds containing
      mostly Orange-crowned and Yellow Warblers in addition to a Black-throated
      Gray Warbler, a Nashville Warbler, a Willow Flycatcher, a single
      Golden-crowned Sparrow, and a single Lark Sparrow.

      We could not resist a check of the end of Vipond Drive/Lake Loop Road at the
      South-west corner of Lake Earl where Alan Barron had found a Wood Sandpiper
      on the 12th. The Wood Sandpiper had probably long departed. There was a
      small assortment of Least and Western Sandpipers, and a Semipalmated Plover.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County