South Polar Skua and Red-billed Tropicbirds at San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2002
      Birders

      I had a great morning's birding at West Cove Point on the northwest tip of
      San Clemente Island today. I was treated to an excellent movement of
      Pink-footed Shearwaters (200+), along with many Sooties. Around 830 I picked
      up a low-flying adult Red-billed Tropicbird not 100m off the kelp line. This
      bird stayed in view for a few minutes and meandered back off to the south.
      Around 905 a dark-morph South Polar Skua flew past heading north, a first
      record for SCI. At this point I called Jon Plissner and Robbie Kohley from
      PRBO to come out and have a look. Unfortunately, the skua did not reappear,
      but another (or the same) Red-billed Tropicbird was seen again off to the
      north, before heading out to sea.

      Other birds of note were 8 Pomarine Jaegers (all adults and subadults), one
      of which nearly knocked down a Royal Tern right over our heads, an
      unidentified jaeger that was likely a Long-tailed, and 30 or so Phalarope sp.

      Yesterday morning Jon Plissner and I birded the Southwest tip of the island,
      China Point, and had a sizable movement of Pink-footed and Sooty Shearwaters
      along with a few Pomarine Jaegers.

      Additionally, the Buff-breasted Sandpiper is still present along with the
      Broad-winged Hawk. Land-birds have been scarce due to the howling west wind.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      SCE/NRO/NALF/SCI