Streaked Shearwater Records in CA

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2002
      Calbirders:

      For those of you not lucky enough to have been on the LAAS Audubon
      trip that recorded Streaked Shearwater today, or the August 17th
      Shearwater Journeys Ft Bragg trip, I have some advice:

      sign-up for Shearwater Journeys Monterey Bay and Santa Cruz
      Pelagics, especially those the last weekend in September and the
      first weekend in October. There are 5 accepted records for Monterey
      bay, and one pending that will be accepted (I know it will be
      accepted because I took the photos). All of the CA records are
      between August 13 and October 9.

      Until these two birds this year, all of the accepted records were
      from Monterey Bay, except for a bird found in a parking lot in Red
      Bluff. If there is a mini-invasion of Streaked Shearwaters this
      year, then my money would be on one of these Monterey trips.

      The chances of finding a mega-rarity like Streaked Shearwater are
      always small, but the odds of finding one sitting at home on the
      couch is zero (unless your house looks out an a parking lot in Red
      Bluff). Many other rarities (such as Wedge-tailed Shearwater) have
      been recorded at this time of year, and the abundance and variety
      seabirds helps soften the blow if that crippling rarity does not
      appear.

      Visit the Shearwater Journeys website at www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      for a complete trip schedule or contact Debi Shearwater at
      debiluv@... or call 831-637-8527 for more info.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      marina Del Rey CA