North San Diego County Loop

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Decided to bird a route I hadn't done in a long time, starting at Duck
      Landing (Buena Vista Lagoon) in Oceanside, then heading east to Guajome
      Regional Park, then up Nate Harrison Grade to Palomar State Park, then down
      to Lake Henshaw, up over Mesa Grande Road, then up through Warner Springs to
      Lost Valley Road and Cow Canyon.

      Got to Duck Landing at sunrise and thankfully found the place open, although
      the area where the ducks hang out is fenced off (and the sign says they'll
      close the place permanently if people insist on feeding them). Added a mess
      of birds to the list, the most interesting including both Redhead and
      Canvasback (a female), plenty of White Pelicans, both Cackling and "standard"
      Canada Geese, and a Moorhen. Only one Western Gull was hanging around, and
      one Caspian Tern flew over; the Forster's were way out there.

      At Guajome the migrants were certainly coming through along the nature trail!
      In one euc alone picked up Nashville, Wilson's, and Orange-crowned Warblers;
      Warbling and Bell's Vireos side by side (the latter was still singing, as
      well as a Hutton's Vireo), Bullock's Oriole, and Black-headed Grosbeak.
      Flushed a couple of night herons and a Great Blue, who landed in a tree in
      front of me and continued to squawk irritatedly at me! Also had an Osprey
      perched on a pole in the distance. Had a nice Red-shouldered Hawk in the
      picnic area near the lake. The Bushtits got upset over a Kestrel flying
      over...

      Poking up Nate Harrison Grade added Wrentit, California Thrasher, Bewick's
      Wren, and Rufous-crowned Sparrow; higher up added Acorn Woodpecker, Spotted
      Towhee, both Oak Titmouse and Mountain Chickadee, and Steller's Jay. Stopped
      at the Adams Trail to see if I could perchance kick up the Cassin's Vireo
      that likes to hang out here, and I hadn't hardly stepped out of the car
      before the silly thing was singing! Unfortunately didn't pick up any of the
      other goodies I sometimes get here (like Red-breasted Nuthatch and
      Golden-crowned Kinglet; I thought I heard the latter but wasn't 100% sure);
      just added Junco and White-breasted Nuthatch to the list.

      Heading down to Lake Henshaw, S7 was just full of bluebirds! Picked up a
      Band-tailed Pigeon on the wire as well. The lake had tons more White
      Pelicans, plus some Western Grebes (they were too far away to pick out any
      for-sure Clark's), and on the shoreline a handful of Least Sandpipers and a
      token Spotted. Stopping every mile on Mesa Grande Road added a few things
      like Lark Sparrow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in a patch of oaks, Turkey Vulture,
      and (incongruously) Starling; what struck me was the total lack of
      Meadowlarks!

      That was it for the list: Lost Valley Road was dead as a doornail (so much
      for a vireo sweep--I was hoping the Grays would at least respond to pishing),
      but the leftover hurricane was hanging ominously to the west (as it had all
      morning; only got a few sprinkles the whole time!), so maybe that kept things
      quiet. The views were outstanding, though, so the drive was worth it! The
      drive down I-15 from Temecula wasn't though: I hit stop and go traffic all
      the way from Escondido to San Diego!!! I knew it was that way in the
      morning, but I thought it was supposed to be SMOOTH in the afternoon! Next
      time I'm going through Santa Ysabel...

      Had 73 species for the day. Bird List:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax
      Canada Goose Branta canadensis
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Canvasback Aythya valisineria
      Redhead Aythya americana
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Common Moorhen Gallinula chloropus
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Caspian Tern Sterna caspia
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Band-tailed Pigeon Columba fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Violet-green Swallow Tachycineta thalassina
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Bell's Vireo Vireo bellii
      Cassin's Vireo Vireo cassinii
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      Warbling Vireo Vireo gilvus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      American Goldfinch Carduelis tristis
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Nashville Warbler Vermivora ruficapilla
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii

      73 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...