Yaqui Well/Scissors Crossing (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Poked around the Yaqui Well/Scissors Crossing area today; the most
      interesting thing at the former was a (I'm assuming) Pines Fire Refugee Oak
      Titmouse. The usual Verdins, Black-tailed Gnatcatchers, and California Quail
      were hanging out at the well, and a Wilson's Warbler was back at the car. A
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker called within Tamarisk Grove Campground.

      Stopped periodically along San Felipe Creek where it runs alongside highway
      78 and picked up a singing Bell's Vireo. There must have been a real wet
      spot in there because there were also some Red-winged Blackbirds and a
      Yellowthroat! At Scissors Crossing I parked at the PCT access point on S2,
      and hadn't gone far before discovering the new Senetac (hope I'm spelling
      that right, Paul...) Birding Trail! This trail shoots off to the right from
      the PCT and takes you right next to the riparian area, making a nice
      hour-long loop. Even this time of the year had some interesting things:
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Orange-crowned Warbler, more titmice, Wrentit,
      Nuttall's Woodpecker, and Spotted Towhee to name a few (also had expected
      desert stuff like Black-throated Sparrow and Cactus Wren). The strangest
      bird was a refugee Acorn Woodpecker flying around!

      Toyed with the idea of hiking the San Felipe Trail up S2 a ways, but didn't
      realize the Pines Fire took out this area as well (Floyd, we should have
      hiked it when we had the chance!). Bushtits were about the most active thing
      along this road. A quick stop at Ramona Pond added Black-necked Stilt,
      Pied-billed Grebe, Ruddy Duck, Killdeer, and Black Phoebe to the list.
      (Picked up a Mountain Chickadee for the day along with a piece of pie and ice
      cream at Julian Pie Company... :-) )

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...
      San Diego, CA