House finch conjunctivitis alert from Brian Collins, USFWS

  • Cm4sdas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2002
      Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:19 PM Subject: Potential Mycoplasmosis in
      House Finches Alert

      FYI

      I've received three reports in the last two days of house finches sick and
      dying at bird feeders in the San Diego area. Reports originated in Bonita,
      Mission Hills and La Mesa. It is important to collect some specimens for
      necropsy.Please refer any reports of sick birds to me, Judy St Leger (619)
      666-8051and Patricia Cawthon (858) 694-3595.

      From the symptom descriptions we've received, the species affected and the
      observed locations at bird feeders, it is possible that we are seeing an
      outbreak of Mycoplasmosis in house finches. If documented, this would
      apparently be a new occurrence on the west coast. Since 1994 this disease
      has spread all over the east coast. ( see page 115 through 119 of the Field
      Manual of Wildlife Disease, USGS, 1999, if you have it)

      Other names for this disease are chronic respiratory disease, infectious
      sinusitis and house finch conjunctivitis. Field signs in house finches
      include "a mild to severe inflammation of one or both eyes and the
      surrounding area including swollen, inflamed eyelids, a clear to cloudy
      thickened discharge from the eye and drainage from the nares of the bill.

      This disease may be spread through bird feeders or rehabilitation cages.
      Cleaning and disinfection of birdfeeders with household bleach is recommended
      (10%solution of household bleach once a week).

      If this disease is confirmed, we should consider doing a PSA on local news
      stations to get the word out to people with home bird feeders.

      Brian Collins Wildlife Biologist San Diego National Wildlife Refuges Coastal
      Refuge Complex USFWS phone: (619) 691-1262 fax: (619) 691-0447 cell: (619)
      778-2003 http://sandiegorefuges.fws.gov

      http://www.printcharger.com/emailStripper.htm

      Connie Madia,
      La Mesa, (San Diego County).

      "If the biota, in the course of eons, has built something we like but do not
      understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts?" -
      Aldo Leopold
    • laurence
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2002
        i have noted some house finches with bad eyes in at our feeders santa rosa, ca
        laurence taylor santa rosa, ca