Today's backyard guests

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 7:31 PM
      For an agoraphobic, I couldn't live in a better place.

      Today was a great birding day! Migration definitely appears to have
      started.

      I am 95% certain, I finally figured out what that warbler with the black
      crown stripe, white supercillium, yellow throat, heavily streaked sides,
      white chest, dark gray overtail coverts and inner retrices, and the
      outer retrices looked pale if not whitish.
      Yep, I believe this was a male Yellow-throated Warbler. It did not stick
      around for long, so I am not 100% sure, but it is the only bird in the
      books that comes close to what I saw. It came through the yard about 7
      a.m. this morning. Dipped into the sprinkler water. Flew into an oak
      tree, then landed on a wire, and flew off, not to be seen again.

      Other new yard birds today. Before dawn I heard the two note hoot of a
      Long-eared Owl, after the sun came up had a Willow Flycatcher, male and
      female Nashville Warbler, and Pine Siskin.

      Bird list for this morning.

      California Quail
      Band-tailed Pigeon
      Mourning Dove
      Long-eared Owl
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird
      Acorn Woodpecker
      Nuttall's Woodpecker
      Willow Flycatcher
      Western Scrub-Jay
      Common Raven
      Oak Titmouse
      Bushtit
      White-breasted Nuthatch
      California Thrasher
      Nashville Warbler
      California Towhee
      Lark Sparrow
      Black-headed Grosbeak
      House Finch
      Pine Siskin
      Lesser Goldfinch
      House Sparrow

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 1645
      Mountain Mesa, CA
      93240-1645

      Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com *
      Educating the world about Kern County, *
      California's unique biodiversity. *