Re: [CALBIRDS] Parrots in Southern California

  • Paul Keller
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2002
      On 02/08/10 07:48 AM, "Kathy Parker" <jandkparker@...> wrote:

      Almost exactly a year ago I saw scores of Red-crowned Parrots and one
      Yellow-headed Parrot in the neighborhood north and west of Live Oak Park in
      Temple City east of LA. From HWY 10 take Temple City Blvd north to Broadway
      and go west to Baldwin. Turn right and go a block and turn left. The park
      is on your left (north) after 3 blocks. You must be there at dawn or dusk.
      A local I talked to last year said that the roosts move around a bit but
      that most often the parrots roost at this location. If you arrive early,
      wander the neighborhood looking for streets speckled with bird droppings. --
      Paul Keller, Goleta SBA

      > I am off to LA and Orange Counties on Sunday for a few days. Can anyone
      > tell me of some areas to search for Parrots and other exotics in those
      > counties? Thank you, Kathy Parker jandkparker@...

      > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
      > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
      > addresses:

    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2002
        Hi All,

        I am working on creating a map of the best birding areas in California
        for an article I am co-authoring.

        The article focuses on birding in the Kern River Valley, but people
        frequently ask how to get to other great birding areas after they visit
        here. I know of many areas, but thought I would pose this question to
        Cal Birders.

        Where would you direct out of state, or country visitors in your area?

        Please post the name and address and general vicinity of the birding
        area. If there are specific intriguing birds or just a great migrant
        trap, that information would be helpful as well.

        Thanks in advance.

        Ali

        P.S. I will post the map on my NatureAli.com website when I finish
        rendering it.

        Alison Sheehey
        P.O. Box 1645
        Mountain Mesa, CA
        93240-1645

        Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com *
        Educating the world about Kern County, *
        California's unique biodiversity. *
        www.NatureAli.com/Kern_Audubon/index.html
        www.ValleyWild.org
        www.ParrotProject.org