Re: [CALBIRDS] Suggestions on finding birds in California?

  • DOUGLAS SHAW
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2001
      Hi Jay,
      You did not mention where your pelagic trips were departing from in CA. I assume some will be out of Bodega Bay. Well, here in Sonoma County the Pine Flat Road area is a very reliable spot for both Mountain Quail and California Thrasher. Mountain Quail can be heard and if you are very lucky seen at dawn at the summit of Pine Flat Road. Once, I had a MOQU cross the road within the first mile of the road which is unusual. The summit of the road has several large power transformers. I have seen CATH singing from the next to last transformer several times. Your best chances are in the early morning, but sometimes the thrashers are visible at late as noon. I have had Sage Sparrow at the summit once or twice.