Parrots in Southern California

  • Kathy Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2002
      I am off to LA and Orange Counties on Sunday for a few days. Can anyone
      tell me of some areas to search for Parrots and other exotics in those
      counties? Thank you, Kathy Parker jandkparker@...
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2002
        Greetings!

        The Arcadia area, near Pasadena, remains one of the best places to look for
        parrots in terms of both numbers and variety.

        Here's a link to a "clickable" map, compliments of Pasadena Audubon. The
        parrots tend to move around some and are much more widely distributed in
        summer, but if you start here, watching and listening for them, you should
        do okay.

        http://www.pasadenaaudubon.org/birdmap.html#16

        Regards,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA
        stonicks@...

        Regards,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA
        stonicks@...
        > I am off to LA and Orange Counties on Sunday for a few days. Can anyone
        > tell me of some areas to search for Parrots and other exotics in those
        > counties? Thank you, Kathy Parker jandkparker@...

        these addresses:

      • Paul Keller
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2002
          On 02/08/10 07:48 AM, "Kathy Parker" <jandkparker@...> wrote:

          Almost exactly a year ago I saw scores of Red-crowned Parrots and one
          Yellow-headed Parrot in the neighborhood north and west of Live Oak Park in
          Temple City east of LA. From HWY 10 take Temple City Blvd north to Broadway
          and go west to Baldwin. Turn right and go a block and turn left. The park
          is on your left (north) after 3 blocks. You must be there at dawn or dusk.
          A local I talked to last year said that the roosts move around a bit but
          that most often the parrots roost at this location. If you arrive early,
          wander the neighborhood looking for streets speckled with bird droppings. --
          Paul Keller, Goleta SBA

          > I am off to LA and Orange Counties on Sunday for a few days. Can anyone
          > tell me of some areas to search for Parrots and other exotics in those
          > counties? Thank you, Kathy Parker jandkparker@...

          > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
          > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
          > addresses:

        • Alison Sheehey
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2002
            Hi All,

            I am working on creating a map of the best birding areas in California
            for an article I am co-authoring.

            The article focuses on birding in the Kern River Valley, but people
            frequently ask how to get to other great birding areas after they visit
            here. I know of many areas, but thought I would pose this question to
            Cal Birders.

            Where would you direct out of state, or country visitors in your area?

            Please post the name and address and general vicinity of the birding
            area. If there are specific intriguing birds or just a great migrant
            trap, that information would be helpful as well.

            Thanks in advance.

            Ali

            P.S. I will post the map on my NatureAli.com website when I finish
            rendering it.

            Alison Sheehey
            P.O. Box 1645
            Mountain Mesa, CA
            93240-1645

            Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com *
            Educating the world about Kern County, *
            California's unique biodiversity. *
            www.NatureAli.com/Kern_Audubon/index.html
            www.ValleyWild.org
            www.ParrotProject.org