Re: [CALBIRDS] Unidentified Bird

  • John Harris
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      That sounds a bit like a Pacific Slope Flycatcher to me. We have had them
      nest under eaves of our building at Mills before, and also on top of
      emergency light boxes (as have juncos sometimes).

      John H. Harris
      Biology Department
      Mills College
      5000 MacArthur Blvd.
      Oakland, CA 94613
      (510) 430-2027
      fax (510) 430-3304
      e-mail: johnh@...

      On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Dick Blaine wrote:

      > I live in Cupertino, CA near Stevens Creek County Park in a residential
      > area.
      >
      > There is a nest in the eves of my house made out of rough twigs (have
      > not seen lining of nest).
      >
      > There are three babies that appear to be gray or light brown (it is dark
      > in there) but have a very distinctive full circle around the eyes.
      >
      > The parent flashes into the nest to feed them and back out in seconds
      > and appears to be light green or gray on the top and to have some yellow
      > coloring below; the circles around the eyes are not complete.
      >
      > The babies are about the same size as the parent - around 5 inches.
      >
      > The only birds in this area that I can come up with that seem to fit
      > these partial descriptions are the Nashville and MacGillivary's
      > Warblers. One more clue - the parent flicks it's tail almost
      > continuously but is definitely not a wren.
      >
      > Is it possible that one of these Warblers would nest in a residential
      > environment?

      > Please let me know if you have problems reading email that I originate
      > (HTML).
      > AOL & Compuserve users, distribution lists and individuals who notify me
      > (will) receive plain text.
      >
      > Dick Blaine in Cupertino, California

    • Dr. Michael M. Rogers
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
        Dick,

        Sounds like your birds may be Pacific-slope Flycatchers, perhaps
        having built their nest on top of a nest of another species (which
        they are known to do...)

        Mike Rogers
        Sunnyvale, CA
      • Dick Blaine
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
          Thanks very much John.

          Now that I have seen the picture in Sibley, there is no doubt in my
          mind. Both my wife and I agree that the bird is a Pacific Slope
          Flycatcher. We also noticed the slope and little tuft on the head.