Unidentified Bird

  • Dick Blaine
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      I live in Cupertino, CA near Stevens Creek County Park in a residential
      area.

      There is a nest in the eves of my house made out of rough twigs (have
      not seen lining of nest).

      There are three babies that appear to be gray or light brown (it is dark
      in there) but have a very distinctive full circle around the eyes.

      The parent flashes into the nest to feed them and back out in seconds
      and appears to be light green or gray on the top and to have some yellow
      coloring below; the circles around the eyes are not complete.

      The babies are about the same size as the parent - around 5 inches.

      The only birds in this area that I can come up with that seem to fit
      these partial descriptions are the Nashville and MacGillivary's
      Warblers. One more clue - the parent flicks it's tail almost
      continuously but is definitely not a wren.

      Is it possible that one of these Warblers would nest in a residential
      environment?

      Please let me know if you have problems reading email that I originate
      (HTML).
      AOL & Compuserve users, distribution lists and individuals who notify me
      (will) receive plain text.

      Dick Blaine in Cupertino, California
    • John Harris
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
        That sounds a bit like a Pacific Slope Flycatcher to me. We have had them
        nest under eaves of our building at Mills before, and also on top of
        emergency light boxes (as have juncos sometimes).

        John H. Harris
        Biology Department
        Mills College
        5000 MacArthur Blvd.
        Oakland, CA 94613
        (510) 430-2027
        fax (510) 430-3304
        e-mail: johnh@...

        On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Dick Blaine wrote:

        > I live in Cupertino, CA near Stevens Creek County Park in a residential
        > area.
        >
        > There is a nest in the eves of my house made out of rough twigs (have
        > not seen lining of nest).
        >
        > There are three babies that appear to be gray or light brown (it is dark
        > in there) but have a very distinctive full circle around the eyes.
        >
        > The parent flashes into the nest to feed them and back out in seconds
        > and appears to be light green or gray on the top and to have some yellow
        > coloring below; the circles around the eyes are not complete.
        >
        > The babies are about the same size as the parent - around 5 inches.
        >
        > The only birds in this area that I can come up with that seem to fit
        > these partial descriptions are the Nashville and MacGillivary's
        > Warblers. One more clue - the parent flicks it's tail almost
        > continuously but is definitely not a wren.
        >
        > Is it possible that one of these Warblers would nest in a residential
        > environment?

        > Please let me know if you have problems reading email that I originate
        > (HTML).
        > AOL & Compuserve users, distribution lists and individuals who notify me
        > (will) receive plain text.
        >
        > Dick Blaine in Cupertino, California

      • Dr. Michael M. Rogers
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
          Dick,

          Sounds like your birds may be Pacific-slope Flycatchers, perhaps
          having built their nest on top of a nest of another species (which
          they are known to do...)

          Mike Rogers
          Sunnyvale, CA
        • Dick Blaine
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
            Thanks very much John.

            Now that I have seen the picture in Sibley, there is no doubt in my
            mind. Both my wife and I agree that the bird is a Pacific Slope
            Flycatcher. We also noticed the slope and little tuft on the head.