Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

  • Cathleen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
      Finally saw the Imm. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron today! The bird was sunning him(her?)self for at least a 45 minutes and we managed to get some good video. He was stationary, on the bank, right near the visitors center as others stated previously. After sunning, the bird caught a couple of small red crabs and then flew off. The time was approx. 9am when we arrived.

      The Sharpes
      La Jolla, CA
      csharpe@...

    • Don DesJardin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2002
        I see that this has not be posted yet. An adult YCNH was found at 12:30
        today at the Ventura Wastewater Treatment Facility (Ventura Sewer Ponds)
        near the Ventura Marina. It was last seen at 3:00 sitting in the willow
        clump on the island in the middle pond. These ponds are in the upper part
        of the facility parallel to the Santa Clara River. The office is normally
        closed on the weekends for sign in. Just find one of the employees and tell
        them that you are there to bird. If you needs directions to the upper ponds
        they can help you. Don't drive out onto the pond roads and don't park where
        you would block any road.
        San Buenaventura, California, USA
      • walter wehtje
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2002
          For those interested in a Yellow-crowned Night-heron between the bay area
          and San Diego County:

          Gary File found this near-adult bird at the Ventura Sewage Ponds this
          afternoon. It was still present as of 3 PM. To get to the Ventura SP from
          the south, take the 101 to Victoria blvd, go south on Victoria, turn right
          on Olivas Drive, and folllow until it comes to the Ventura Harbor. At this
          point it turns into Spinnaker Drive. From the north exit the 101 at Seaward
          Ave, turn left at the end of the exit ramp and follow this road, which turns
          into harbor, untl you reach Spinnaker Drive, and turn right.

          The entrance to the sewage ponds is on the left, 1400 Spinnaker Drive.
          Drive in and turn right after the two large concrete dome-like structures,
          at the top of the little hill turn left, and then take the first right.
          This road dead-ends at a small building with a pond on the left and another
          one on the right. Park here and walk alolng the road on the eastern side of
          the pond on your right. The bird was last seen on the island in the second
          pond, where there are several Black-crowned Night-herons and Great Blue
          Herons. The sewage ponds are open on Saturdays, but I'm not sure if they're
          open on Sundays. You should also check and see if the office is open so you
          can sign in. The signs for visitors and to the office are easily seen at
          the point where you take the first right.

          Other areas to check nearby include McGrath State Beach, immediately south
          of the Santa Clara River off of Harbor blvd, and the vegetation surrounding
          Olivas Adobe, less than 1 mile East of the harbor on Olivas Drive.

          Good Luck.

          Walter Wehtje
        • Joseph Morlan
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2002
            On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:46:13 -0700, Don DesJardin
            <birdpix@...> wrote:

            >I see that this has not be posted yet. An adult YCNH was found at 12:30
            >today at the Ventura Wastewater Treatment Facility (Ventura Sewer Ponds)
            >near the Ventura Marina. It was last seen at 3:00 sitting in the willow
            >clump on the island in the middle pond. These ponds are in the upper part
            >of the facility parallel to the Santa Clara River. The office is normally
            >closed on the weekends for sign in. Just find one of the employees and tell
            >them that you are there to bird. If you needs directions to the upper ponds
            >they can help you. Don't drive out onto the pond roads and don't park where
            >you would block any road.

            I am pleased to be able to post one of Don's images of this bird at:

            http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

            Enjoy!

            --
            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044: mailto:jmorlan@...
            Fall Birding Classes start Sept 4: http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
              Today I checked the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron nest on Caspian Way in Imperial Beach. Two juveniles were still standing on and beside the nest, and the third juvenile was perched in an adjacent tree - I guess we can say that the nesting was successful, and the young fledged - first confirmed nesting for Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in California.

              Guy McCaskie
              954 Grove Avenue
              Imperial Beach, CA 91932
              619-423-7524

            • borodayko2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
                On 20 Nov, 2012,I photographed the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron that has been hanging out at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach. I shoot slides so it takes a while to get my results. I posted an image in the Waders folder and it can be viewed temporarily in the New photos folder.

                Enjoy, Al Borodayko
                Cypress, CA