YCNH at San Elijo Lagoon present

  • Matthias Bark
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2002
      Forwarded for Chris Brady:

      The YCNH at San Elijo Lagoon apparently was a no-show
      until 1830 (6:30PM)hours on Sat. Aug. 3rd. The ranger
      told Matthias Bark and me that no-one had seen it
      today. We looked for it from about 1700 until 1745,
      splitting up the task with no luck. After reparking
      outside the gate, we went back to the main trail from
      the visitor's center to the section of the lagoon that
      is just past the windsock with the bird compass that
      points to "SW." This is near a bench and the
      information board entitled "Mudflats." The bird was
      first seen perched and preening atop a large, green
      plastic container in front of the pickleweed across
      from the part of the path that becomes a "tunnel"
      through the trees. The bird then began foraging along
      the edge of the pickleweed. Between 1830 and 1845 it
      captured and ate one small fish and two small blackish
      crabs. There were no other birds nearby.

      The bird is acquiring adult plumage and appears to be
      growing a single white plume in the center of his head
      (best seen with his/her back to you).
      <<<

      Matthias Bark
      Brea, CA