Painted Bunting band

  • Bill Principe
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      > At 03:13 PM 8/2/2002 -0700, Jean Brandt wrote:
      > Hi Bill:
      >
      > It was NOT white plastic. It was silver metal and was not completely
      > closed.

      WHOOPS. Most USF&WS banders are quite careful to close their
      bands completely before releasing birds. On the other hand,
      I have seen lots of pet birds with hastily applied and half
      opened bands, and many pet fanciers use aluminum bands.

      PABUs should take a size 1B or 1C USF&WS bird band, and the
      numbers should be on the outside, so with a good scope
      (anyone seen Kimball's new bi-nuclear binoculars!?) you may
      be able to read part or all of the numbers. At any event,
      someone should be able to positively tell if it is a
      pet band or not.

      Bill Principe My heart in hiding
      La Canada, California Stirred for a bird,
      Los Angeles County the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!
      34*11'N 118*12'W from "The Windhover"
      ThePrincipes@... by Gerard Manley Hopkins