Re: [CALBIRDS] Painted Bunting band

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 3:36 PM
      Calbirders,

      The band is silver and not tightly closed, so what looks as if the leg is
      showing through a clear plastic band is the leg showing through the gap in
      the band. As Ed Stonick stated earlier, Mike San Miguel believes it to be a
      USFWS band. If so, it would indicate that this is likely a wild bird. Other
      positive indicators are that this is the right time for male Painted
      Buntings to migrate through LA Co. (as Kimball said yesterday), and that
      this bird's belly is a nice bright red, not the duller red/orange found on
      caged males.

      At 02:31 PM 8/2/2002 -0700, Bill Principe wrote:
      > Is that really a USF&WS band on the Painted Bunting?
      > From the photo that Steve Sosensky posted, it is
      >difficult to tell. It could be white plastic.
      > If it IS a F&WS band, that has important implications
      >for its status. Banders are not allowed to band caged
      >birds, or to hold birds in captivity without a special
      >permit. (Of course, it is always possible that someone
      >mist-netted this bird just across the border after it
      >escaped from a TJ slave trader.)
      > On the other hand, there are probably only a handful
      >of PABUs banded each year, so it may be possible to
      >figure out who banded this bird, and where.
      > How 'bout it? Is it a bander's band or a cager's band?

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Bill Principe
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 3:42 PM
        > At 03:13 PM 8/2/2002 -0700, Jean Brandt wrote:
        > Hi Bill:
        >
        > It was NOT white plastic. It was silver metal and was not completely
        > closed.

        WHOOPS. Most USF&WS banders are quite careful to close their
        bands completely before releasing birds. On the other hand,
        I have seen lots of pet birds with hastily applied and half
        opened bands, and many pet fanciers use aluminum bands.

        PABUs should take a size 1B or 1C USF&WS bird band, and the
        numbers should be on the outside, so with a good scope
        (anyone seen Kimball's new bi-nuclear binoculars!?) you may
        be able to read part or all of the numbers. At any event,
        someone should be able to positively tell if it is a
        pet band or not.

        Bill Principe My heart in hiding
        La Canada, California Stirred for a bird,
        Los Angeles County the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!
        34*11'N 118*12'W from "The Windhover"
        ThePrincipes@... by Gerard Manley Hopkins