Kudos to Kimball +

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hi All,

      It appears that a consensus has been reached on the Mystery Bird, and
      Kimball was the first to suggest a deformed House Finch. It is just that
      expertise at ID that makes him such a hit on our popular ID panel at the
      Central Valley Birding Symposium, to be held in November in Stockton
      (Shameless Plug).

      Kimball and Jon Dunn, Joe Morlan, and Kevin Karlson show us how they ID
      tough birds, but we don't make them eat the slides if they guess wrong
      (although they never do).

      Also, FYI, Kimball, Jon, and Bruce Webb will be leading a special Gull ID
      field trip for the Symposium. It is limited to 20 participants. The
      Registration Form isn't on the website yet, and the brochure and
      registration forms won't be mailed out for three weeks- but the gull trip
      will probably be full by then.

      How? Well, half the Steering Committee wants to go (including Yours Truly)
      and when people attending the last CV Bird Club outing heard about it they
      whipped out their checkbooks on the spot. "Word of mouth" is propelling
      this thing, so I thought I would tell you folks before the brochures go out
      and it's already too late. It's strictly a first-come first-served deal.

      So, if you want to go on Kimball, Jon and Bruce's field trip, I STRONGLY
      suggest you go to the website and contact our Registrar, Frances Oliver.
      (That sound you heard was her hitting her head against her monitor when she
      reads this!) She'll email you a registration form or make some arrangements
      for you to sign up for the Symposium and reserve a space on the Gull trip.

      Cheri A. Pillsbury
      Stockton, CA
      Publicity Chair, Central Valley Birding Symposium
      http://cvbs.org
    • laurence taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
        Well, I guess I have to go with the majority and say odd House Finch. I just wish a good photographer could have gotten to take pictures. One thing I did learn was bird photography is certainly a humbling experience. I also picked up a lot about house finches, gold finches and CA Towhees.

        Laurence taylor

        Santa Rosa, Sonoma County CA

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor