Mystery bird

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2002
      Wow

      That is indeed an odd-looking bird and I'm not at all surprised at the
      difficulty in finding a match in the standard field guides. I would have to
      agree with Kimball that the bird has an obvious bill deformity and that it is
      likely a House Finch. I would suggest that this bill is not right for any
      Vireo or Warbler, barring possibly the Bahamian race of Yellow-throated
      Warbler (which the bird clearly is not)! The tail looks right for House
      Finch, and seems notched unlike those of most warblers. I have seen quite a
      range of bill deformity in my work including several species of raptor and
      common raven, however, I have not seen it much in passerines. It would
      certainly be worthwhile trying to get better pictures of the bird, and
      perhaps then one can clinch the bird's identity and further document the
      degree of bill deformity.

      Good find!

      Brian Sullivan