Re: [CALBIRDS] How to find a fellow birder

  • Scott Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2001
      >Hello,
      >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
      >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
      >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
      >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
      >Jen

      To persist beyond what probably seems reasonable -- here's another idea

      My wife (and I, of course) belongs to the American Birding Association

      <A HREF="http://www.americanbirding.org/">Click here</A>

      out of Colorado Springs, CO - which publishes an annual directory
      called "A Birder's Resource Guide". It includes names & addresses of
      (willing) members sorted out by state and first three digits of their
      ZIP code, eg. mine is CA/940/Spencer. If you're interested and will
      supply me with the equivalent info for your area - I'll xerox a page
      or two of our '01 Guide and send it along. Presumably the people in
      this book are at least moderately tolerant of calls from strangers
      asking for area birding info.

      I'd need your ZIP and a mailing address, right? Looking that over
      again, I see that what I really need is just a mailing address ;<}

      Cheeps, Scott

      P.S. Looking once more at my last two lines -- I conclude that in
      this mailing list business, you want to be concise -- but not so
      concise that you "damage the surroundings" or "hurt" one of your
      email correspondents. We're all in this birding biz for pleasure,
      right??
      --
      Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
      Menlo Park, CA spouse: AWfolks@...