Green Sandpiper in Humboldt

  • Tristan McKee
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2014
      Just before dusk this evening, I had good views of a persistently-calling Green Sandpiper at Klopp Lake, which is at the south end of I Street in Arcata.

      A series of very unique "kleep" calls drew my attention to the bird as it circled the lake. I had many good views of the striking dorsal surface in flight, which showed a white band across the lower rump/tail base, contrasting boldly with the all-dark upperparts and thick black tail band. The bird landed on a log on an island in the lake, continuing to call loudly. Standing, it just looked (but didn't sound!) like a Solitary Sandpiper. The dull yellow (not greenish) legs threw me off at first, but I see now that many Greens show this coloration (at least young birds).

      See you all first thing in the morning!

      Tristan McKee
      Arcata, CA
    • John Cant
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2014

        I assume some folks were out looking today.  Negative data can be useful, especially for those who live at a distance.

        Thanks,

        John Cant

        Fremont, CA

        From: nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tristan McKee atmckee@... [nwcalbird]

        Just before dusk this evening, I had good views of a persistently-calling Green Sandpiper at Klopp Lake , which is at the south end of I Street in Arcata.

      • Tom Leskiw
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2014
          The bird was neither seen nor heard today, despite searchers spending many hours looking for it at Klopp Lake at the Arcata Marsh project. Nor was the bird detected by the party or two that searched further afield in Arcata Bottom.

          Tom Leskiw
          Eureka, CA

          From: nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tristan McKee atmckee@... [nwcalbird]