Fwd: [LACoBirds] Masked booby spotted off coast of Palos Verdes

  • Stan Walens
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2014
      Wendy Miller posted a note to LA County Birds listserv with a link to photos by Tim Hammond.
      I believe the photos show an adult Nazca booby, and that this would be a first documented record for the continental U.S.
      Opinions?

      Photos are here:

      Having troubles with my email server; sorry if posts have appeared several times.

      Stan Walens
      San Diego

    • Wanda

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2014
          I’ve certainly seen Nazca boobies with yellow eyes in the field [obviously, not in the continental U.S.], and there are numerous photos of yellow-eyed Nazca boobies on the internet.

          I don’t know enough about the morphology of Nazca booby to know if eye color is an age-related, sex-related, breeding-condition-related or population-variable characteristic.

          Another potential field mark, if I understand it correctly, is the shallow concavity of the culmen.

          Stan Walens
          San Diego