Glossy Ibis at the Piute Ponds, LA County, June 11

  • Jonathan Feenstra
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2014
      Birders,

      There is right now a Glossy Ibis at the Piute Ponds in Los Angeles County. It is associating with about 20 White-faced Ibis in the flooded meadow that is east of the northern Ducks Unlimited Pond. It is a breeding adult showing a dark eye, dark facial skin and a fine bluish white facial border line. The ibis flock is skittish and they've moved further into the meadow behind grass tussocks (maybe 100m from the road), but they haven't left the area. Perhaps the 30 mph winds will keep them grounded for a little while.

      I'll hopefully be able to post some photos shortly, but definitely by tomorrow.

      Note that the Piute Ponds are on Edwards Air Force Base which requires written permission to access. Information on access and a map of the ponds complex is online at www.piuteponds.com

      Good luck.

      Jon Feenstra
      Altadena, CA
    • Jonathan Feenstra
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2014
        For those interested: mediocre, but identifiable photos of the Glossy Ibis present yesterday afternoon at the Piute Ponds in Los Angeles County can be seen here:
        http://www.leaftosser.com/Birding/GlossyIbis.html

        Jon Feenstra
        Altadena, CA

        On Jun 11, 2014, at 4:38 PM, Jonathan Feenstra wrote:

        > Birders,
        >
        > There is right now a Glossy Ibis at the Piute Ponds in Los Angeles County. It is associating with about 20 White-faced Ibis in the flooded meadow that is east of the northern Ducks Unlimited Pond. It is a breeding adult showing a dark eye, dark facial skin and a fine bluish white facial border line. The ibis flock is skittish and they've moved further into the meadow behind grass tussocks (maybe 100m from the road), but they haven't left the area. Perhaps the 30 mph winds will keep them grounded for a little while.
        >
        > I'll hopefully be able to post some photos shortly, but definitely by tomorrow.
        >
        > Note that the Piute Ponds are on Edwards Air Force Base which requires written permission to access. Information on access and a map of the ponds complex is online at www.piuteponds.com
        >
        > Good luck.
        >
        > Jon Feenstra
        > Altadena, CA