Jon Winter has passed away

  • Dave Quady
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2014
      California birders:

      I learned today that Jon Winter passed away on Tuesday, June 7.

      Jon was a stalwart in the California birding community from the 1960s onward. He was one of the founders of California Field Ornithologists, which became Western Field Ornithologists after a few years. He also served as the first Secretary of the California Bird Records Committee, beginning in 1971. Don Roberson's fine summary of Jon's early contributions to California birding, at <http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/CAwhoJW.html>, provides much, much more information.

      Some may know of Jon mostly because of his work on owls, particularly Great Gray Owls in the Yosemite Sierra. Jon's 1986 Master's thesis resulted from nearly a decade of research based in Ackerson Meadow, which Jon and his wife re-visited within the last few weeks to see how the Rim Fire had affected the habitat he knew so well. Earlier in his career, Jon took advantage of time spent in the mountains as a fire lookout to study Flammulated Owls. No doubt many birders took heart -- as I did -- that they might actually be able to see a Flammulated Owl after reading Jon's papers on how and where to find them.

      No service is planned to mark Jon's passing. But next January -- his birth month -- there will be a celebration of his life.

      I'll miss him.

      Dave Quady
      Berkeley, California
      davequady@...
    • Eugene Hunn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014

        Friends,

        I remember well Jon showing me my life Flammulated Owl in 1970 at Big Oak Flats below his forest service lookout on Duncan Peak where he would play jazz flute to accompany the Hermit Thrushes. I miss him already.

        Gene Hunn

        Petaluma

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
          I last saw Jon at the memorial service for Rich Stallcup.  I told him how much I appreciated his advanced birding class that I took as a teenager way back in 1976 and he got a big kick out of that. I still remember his sage advice on grebes, Swamp Sparrow calls etc.  He was one of the top birders of his generation.

          John Sterling
          VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

          26 Palm Ave
          Woodland, CA 95695
          530 908-3836
          jsterling@...
          www.sterlingbirds.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2014
              California birders,

              I am greatly saddened to learn of the death of Jon Winter. He was a seminal
              figure in California ornithology and will be terribly missed. I first met
              Jon in 1970 during a short visit to California when I was working on my
              M.Sc. thesis. Largely because of his friendliness and enthusiasm, I joined
              Point Reyes Bird Observatory and California Field Ornithologists (now
              Western Field Ornithologists), and am still a member of both organizations,
              even though I live hundreds of miles away. That enthusiasm was contagious,
              and I'm sure it had a positive effect on hundreds of other people who met
              him.

              My sincere condolences to Jon's family, and to his many friends who knew him
              much better than I did.

              Wayne C. Weber

              Delta, BC, Canada

              contopus@...